Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2000 | 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you sell your sp500 because of reliabilty issues. Pretty sure you mentioned in earlier posts that your old quad spent a fair amount of time in the shop. I too have an sp500 and mine has been in the shop constantly! Because of this I would strongly encourage the poster of this message to consider the foreman for it will be much more reliable in the long run, no question.

Old 04-17-2000 | 12:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks atving for setting everyone straight on this issue. I'm on my way to the polaris dealer to pick up my sp 500, it broke down again.

Old 04-17-2000 | 12:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

The decision has been made. Taking everything into account we purchased three Foreman ES'.

The biggest factor in the decision however was dealer support. After two written and three verbal requests, the Polaris dealership has yet respond as to when we could expect to receive the units. If it takes this much to BUY three ATVs, one can only guess what it would take to get ONE serviced!

Thanks to all of you for your input. It was very helpful.

Old 04-17-2000 | 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Good choice, now you won't have to worry about bringing in the Polaris's all the time as things break down on them. The foreman without question is one of the most bulletproof machines available.

Old 04-17-2000 | 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

You will never regret this choice. You made the right one. Your promotion will be coming soon. Hopefully that will involve you getting to ride the Foreman. Or at least take it home on weekends.

Old 04-17-2000 | 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't get an opportunity to respond prior to your purchase, but it sounds like in this case, you made the right choice. I am perticularly biased to Honda, because I own one, but when the dealer shows you that kind of "courtesy" he leaves you no option.
I'm not done though. I think that I would seriously consider getting whomever will be riding these machines some formal training. An inexperienced rider on a 500+ pound machine with that much power is a dangerous combination. You didn't mention the terrain or the situation in which they will be riding, but on anything more than a flat surface, I'd get them some training. I'm pretty sure that the AMA will come to your site and train these people, if not, send them there. Your insurance company, and hopefully your manager, will thank you. You know the first time someone gets hurt who they will be pointing the finger at? U. Good luck. This is just my opinion.

Old 04-17-2000 | 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Rancheres,yes the Sportsman spent alot of time in for repair,some of it was the dealers fault for repairing things incorrectly,and for making some problems that I did'nt have.I brought it to another dealer and since DEC of 99,everything has been fine.No,I did not sell the Sportsman because of reliability issues.Do you think I would sell the quad to my own brother if reliability was the question?

MYDAWGO1,giving the situation of the Polaris dealer not responding back to you,I to beleive that you made the correct choice.It dont matter what quad you purchase if you cant get the dealership to service it,much less return your requests.I wish you nothing but the best with your quads,and oh ya,Please have EVERYONE involved with these quads take the safety course.====BILL

Old 04-17-2000 | 09:05 PM
Range Rover

That depends on how well you like your brother.

Old 04-18-2000 | 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do you own Honda stock? Just wondering.

Old 04-18-2000 | 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, if you knew anything about Polaris, they are made in Osceola, Wisconsin USA and/or South Dakota USA and/or Roseau Minnesota USA. Only half their snowmobile motors are now produced
by Fuji, and they are moving away from that with the implementation of their domestic twin and triple programs. Read a brouchure.

Quick Reply: Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500