Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New guy - want an ATV + snow plow

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy - want an ATV + snow plow

Hi guys

I'm new to the world of ATVs but I've always loved cars and working on engines.
Recently the blizzard in NJ did a number on my back. I looked at snow blower prices but for a meager 11 hp it would cost me almost $2000 for a decent blower. That's $2000 invested in some equipment that'll gather dust the rest of the year.

I thought, maybe if I got an ATV and mounted a snow plow on it, it could shovel out the entire street and then some, but in the spring and summer, I could remove the plow and go off-roading.

Some questions:

which models should I consider for reliability and performance?
where should I go for plow install kits?
is this a wise idea?
I'm in NJ, anyone know if I need a license or permit to operate an ATV?
How much do you think this would cost?

Thanks in advance!

BTW I don't have a strong footing on all the terminology and technology employed in the ATVs, but I learn very very quickly so bear with me just for a bit!

Old 02-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New guy - want an ATV + snow plow

The snow plow attachment will be your cheapest cost out of your pocket, figure on at least $300 for a moose plow kit, if you order it yourself. The Moose plow is a tough unit.

Next is the means to lift the snow plow up & down. You can use either a manual lift, electric lift or a winch. Cost ranges anywhere from $75 to $400 plus.
You can plow with a two-wheel drive atv but you will have to chain-up the rear tires to do so. A 4x4 atv will not need chains, unless you are out on "ice".

Next is how much money are you willing to pay for your 4wheeler.
Look to see what is being offered in your price range, some 4wheelers come with a free Warn winch & others offer a price break on a Warn or Superwinch. I have had both brands of these winches & they both never let me down.

Anymore, about any 4wheeler is reliable, you may just have to go on what looks nice to you, like the style for example.

Dealer cost prices are available on www.atvcost.com once you have narrow your 4wheeler selection down, as by knowing the cost of the 4wheeler may help you get a better price-out-the-door or find a dealer who will give you that deal you are looking for.
I have plowed snow with a 250 4x4 with no problems, so a 300,360,400,450 & 500 cc 4wheeler will do the same as a 250 but just doesn't have to work as hard at doing it.

As far as licensing requirments you will need to check your State laws.

Good luck with your research project.