Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which new utility 250 2x4 to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which new utility 250 2x4 to buy?

I'm looking to buy a new 250 2x4 soon and I'd like everyones feedback on the following models:
Honda 250 Recon
Kawasaki 250 Bayou
Suzuki 250 Ozark
Yamaha Beartracker

I've considered the Polaris 325 Trail Boss also. I'm not sure if I like the fully automatic transmission but I have never ridden a Polaris either.

I'm going to use it for play but I want to be able to use it to possibly mow my 5 acre lot someday or at least haul stuff around.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2003 Beartracker. I love it. It is great all around. Good pulling power, large racks, AWESOME brakes, Maxxis tires are standard. It is great at what it does. Top speed is right around 50 mph. Not too impressive, but it's pretty good for a 250. The Trail Boss would be worth serious consideration though. It has more displacement and the automatic transmission is great. It makes it really easy to take on mud and hills. Out of those you listed, go with the Beartracker. I don't know if this is your first ATV, but you might want to look for something a little bigger. I've had mine for about 4 months, and while it isn't slow, I'm starting to want something faster. It might depent on how much you ride it. If you just use it for hauling stuff and playing around the yard EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, it's great. But if you ride it a lot, you might get bored with it. Just my two cents........

Old 03-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with an ozark or a bear tracker. Ozark is $200 more then bear tracker (MSRP that is) Goes just as fast or little faster from what I herd then the tracker, got like 3 icnhes more ground clearance. Its nice and "nimble" when I saw it at the dealer. My friend got one and just been a great all around machine. If your looking to do more serious stuff id go with a bigger engine and 4 wheel drive but since you said just playing I wouldnt worry at all. This site has a review for the ozark and has nothing but good things to say. It has a review for beartracker as well which does point out a few mistakes that yamaha didnt fix from the good old timberwolf.

I wouldnt go with a polaris. I deffinitly dont think they are reliable enough but thats me. To many people alwyas saying there having problems with them. I never really liked kawasaki quads either and hondas arent really bad but I think the ozark or bear tracker are better and since the bear tracker is an upgrade from the timberwolf it is most likely a good quad. I used to ride my friends timberwolf before I got my own and iv been through a whole lot of shizzy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] with that quad, its really good. Install a winch and you can get through anything. If it was up to me and I wanted a nice good size bike like this for trail riding id go with the ozark, but thats my choice. In the end if you end up with one of these two youll be happy.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Indeed the Ozark is Truely an AWESOME atv. it is a perfect all around quad for Having Fun but can also do la good bit of work for a 250 class machine, and if im not mistaken, it might be available with a 5 speed auto clutch tranny now, (not too sure tho). My causin has an 02 Bayou that he got last summer, and ofcourse i spent some time riding it, And it is a Workhorse and a half. its the best out of the Four for Working, and Pulling stuff around, but the Ozark would be better for Trail riding, and a bit sportier too.
pls the Ozark is a true 250 at 246cc, the others are around 229cc or close to it. so thats 17cc you could brag about [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2003, 04:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can't go wrong with the Recon. It's light and fun to ride. The Beartracker and Bayou don't even have double a-arms. I wouldn't even consider the Bayou and the Beartracker maybe as a work quad. I don't know the top speed of the Bayou or the Ozark. The Ozark is most probably the fastest of the group. The top speed of the Beartracker is 44mph and even though the Trail Boss has 325cc's it also only goes 44 mph. The Recon's top speed is 45mph. These are the 0 to 40 mph times- Recon reaches 40mph in 11.62 sec., Trail Boss 15.36 sec., BearTracker 15.59 sec. I'm not sure about the Bayou and Ozark. I would pick between the Ozark and the Recon. The Recon doesn't come with a hitch but I just had them throw one in during the purchase. If the Ozark is reliable then I'd probably buy that over the Recon. Just because of a faster mph and it tows more than everything except the TrailBoss. The only thing I've heard bad about the Ozark so far is the position of the rear rack.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

After riding each, I think I like the Recon the best, but I went to a dealer today and they had a 2000 Rancher 2x4 for $2995 with a warranty until 8/2004. The transmissions was just completely rebuilt and it is a push button shift on the handle bar. The only thing wrong with it was the back tires need replaced and they may have put wider rims on the atv. The Rancher has 6300 plus miles on it.

Is this a lot of miles?

Does anybody know the top speed of the Rancher?

Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm, What magazine told you that the Trailboss only goes 44mph, and that the Recon has a better 0-40 time, because both of those facts arew WRONG, i think you got the recon times Mixed up with the trailboss times. there is no way a Recon is faster than a trailboss. im not trying to start anything, and not being biased iether. but the trail boss is indeed the fastest out of the group, but weighs alot more tho. if you dont mind a heavier machine that is also Wider and taller, than the "NEW" trailBoss is a good ATV. the Recon and beartracker are too underpowered in that class, and should be in a 230 class at 229cc each. but overall, the Ozark is an Awesome quad. and the best in class for having fun.

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2003, 07:39 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: PmanX8
the Recon and beartracker are too underpowered
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]My 400 plus hour 1999 Recon doesn't seem under powered to me.

chandler1989,

I wouldn't mess with that rancher, sounds like you would be buying problems.

Chet

Old 03-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

im not bashing the recon or the Beartracker, im not saying there Underpoered in general. but what i am saying is that the New Bayou and ozark 250's put out a little more power, because of there larger displacements. the recon and Beartrackers just need some Updating to become real 250's. because they are both only 229cc. which tecnically makes them 230 class machines.

Old 03-29-2003, 08:02 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Talking about the bayou 250. I don't know how Kawasaki can say that it is new when all they did was bump the engine up in size. When you look at one it might be a little better looking but under that facelift its still the old bayou 220.

The 229cc Recon can and will run circles around the poor handling Bayou 250.

Chet

Quick Reply: Which new utility 250 2x4 to buy?