CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

is tuning needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is tuning needed

I have a '09 Outlander 800R, I want to get a pipe for it. I have two in mind, Aaen or HMF slip-on! Is tuning needed, like a power commander or something? I've heard that the Aaen pipe doesn't need tuning; but the HMF does. I've heard sound clips of both. They sound great but the HMF just has morte of that I'm the King Of The Forest growl!!! Any tips which one is better. Help and advice would be great!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Most quads can take just a slip on exhaust without having to rejet. Best thing you can do after you put it on is do a plug chop and see where your machine is in that group.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I have another question what is a ( plug chop )? My Outty has EFI,no carb to jet. What does this plug chop do? Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Since you have efi, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Basic plug chop is putting in a new plug, running the quad about 1/4 wide open and shut off the ignition. Pull the plug and see what color it is. From there you would determine if you were lean, rich or right where you need to be.

Now the bad news is, if you do a whole lot to the intake/exhaust, you would have to remap your system.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Since you have efi, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Basic plug chop is putting in a new plug, running the quad about 1/4 wide open and shut off the ignition. Pull the plug and see what color it is. From there you would determine if you were lean, rich or right where you need to be.

Now the bad news is, if you do a whole lot to the intake/exhaust, you would have to remap your system.
Why wouldn't he have to worry about it since he has EFI? There is no o2 sensor to adjust for fluctuation in the intake or exhaust. The efi only compensates for elevation change. Thaa is the down side to efi, any upgrade to the pipe or intake you have to buy a fuel programmer. On my Rhino with EFI I had to add nearly 25% more fuel at certain spots of the RPM range to get the ratio correct.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stoopidbot
Why wouldn't he have to worry about it since he has EFI? There is no o2 sensor to adjust for fluctuation in the intake or exhaust. The efi only compensates for elevation change. Thaa is the down side to efi, any upgrade to the pipe or intake you have to buy a fuel programmer. On my Rhino with EFI I had to add nearly 25% more fuel at certain spots of the RPM range to get the ratio correct.
It does depend on the machine when it comes to slip-on pipes...... Dirt Wheels put a pipe on the new z400 and did not have to change the EFI controller at all. I did a slip-on on my '05 z400 and did not have to re-jet. My buddy put a slip-on on his Brute Force and did not have to re-jet either......

So it really does depend on the specific machine, and what pipe you choose. And of course your elevation..... It will also depend a lot on if you do airbox or intake mods.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I wasn't saying anything about that. I got a slip-on before the head pipe, I did not have to rejet for mine either.(until I put the header on)

I was questioning when the guy asked what is a plug chop, and his response was, You have EFI, you don't have to worry about it. That is what I was wondering.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by Stoopidbot
I wasn't saying anything about that. I got a slip-on before the head pipe, I did not have to rejet for mine either.(until I put the header on)

I was questioning when the guy asked what is a plug chop, and his response was, You have EFI, you don't have to worry about it. That is what I was wondering.
Also referring to the point that he was only getting a slip on, hence he did not have to worry. Just like you didn't till you went further with the mods.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

AH, I see. I thought you meant because he has EFI he doesn't have to check...

You will know instantly if you need to rejet for the slip-on.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

no need to worry about adding fuel with the addition of a slip on.BRP already has these machines running rich to try and keep them cool. i have had a slip on on my ol650 for over 3 years now,4500 miles with no issues, and the plugs still show a little on the rich side. just remember, your not letting more air in, just getting it out faster. if you do an intake mod then you will need more fuel.

Quick Reply: is tuning needed