CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Undercutting DS650 gears references

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercutting DS650 gears references

Greetings,

I have a BMW F650 with the same engine as the DS650, and I know this is a well respected drag racing community. I am not sure this is the right place, but I am just searching for information on alternatives at this point.

I've had some missing gear problems over the years, and was going to split the case to get a stock valve job to factory specs, a new main bearing if needed, and the transmission shift-forks, gears, etc... inspected and replaced if needed.

One ATV machine shop seemed great but did not seem to be confident about his undercutting results historically. Since then, I've picked up 2 more possible shops that seem to be what I want:
street bikes (and they did ATV's too - not just for drag racing) with undercutting both ways partially for positive shifting. I do not want a drag race cut that sucks it into gear and does not release it without great difficulty and exertion.

I did not call my 2 prospective shops yet and wanted to ask the tried and true Rotax drag race experts first. The prices, one with a 5 day turn around, was about $450 plus parts (a couple of hundred anyway for shift forks and possible gears). This of course is in addition to head dis-assembly, case split, valve job, and main bearing replacement (about $1100 to $1300 - I live near the shop so hopefully, no shipping
:-)

Are your vendors strictly atv high volume drag race experts, or are they experienced with the limits of street bikes for reliability? If you think you have some possible vendors that may be able to help, I would like their web site if possible. Thank you for your time and expertise

Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, sorry to bother you, but I think I'm set now. I've got 4 different good choices.

FYI, Husqvarna converted a BMW G650GS by adding a 12.3:1 CR forged piston top end, enhanced efi, and usd forks. They are selling from $5.4 to $6k + state tax to 6/30/13. Hot race engines 58hp crank and 52rwhp (10 more rwhp than standard G650GS). They are too fast for me, but you may like them, or at least go test ride one for free! Peace.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Eric Oldham (OMW Racing). He is in Kentucky. He did mine in my DS650. Super nice guy and great service.