CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

bending shaft normal or not? 2013 outlander 1000 xt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bending shaft normal or not? 2013 outlander 1000 xt

can anybody else do this with a little strength?
the atv was rolled on its side, slow speed- the bars looked bent- however, once I removed the hand guards it appears the bars are straight and maybe the shaft was bent? I can torque the bars to one side or the other and straighten it so the bars are horizontal- but it appears it's a lot easier to bend the bars now. After he rolled it, I bent the bars back (what I thought were the bars) but after I returned from riding a few days ago I noticed they were bent again- which made me look a bit more closely at what was actually bending when I torqued the bars- it looks like maybe the top of the steering shaft

but- maybe bending the steering shaft like this is normal and I just never realized it until I tried to bend the bars back to a horizontal position???

A guy rolled it on its side while trying it.

I really have to give it a good "jolt" to bend it- normal or not? what do you guys think?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make a difference that you have super human strength from the various chemicals you've been doused in over the years??

I sure as heck can't do that on my XP.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The handle bars dont look like they are bending. The ends of the handle bars seem to be moving in unison. Take a good look at the steering stem, no way that much movement is normal.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

The stem is so burried- the power steering unit makes it hard to observe the shaft. I need another set of hands to move the bars while I watch underneath...

Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
The stem is so burried- the power steering unit makes it hard to observe the shaft. I need another set of hands to move the bars while I watch underneath...
If it is the stem its prob bending just under the mount for the handle bars.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It looks to me like the shaft is bending.

Is it normal? It is on all my Chinese quads..

Just kidding.. Id guess the shaft bent initially and was weakened somewhat... every time you bend it it gets weaker.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

ughh! taking that shaft out does not look fun
I'm assuming bending a steering shaft isn't covered under the warranty.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

Steering stems are hollow, so once bent they are easier to bend back and forth.
Have fun with that.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
can anybody else do this with a little strength?
the atv was rolled on its side, slow speed- the bars looked bent- however, once I removed the hand guards it appears the bars are straight and maybe the shaft was bent? I can torque the bars to one side or the other and straighten it so the bars are horizontal- but it appears it's a lot easier to bend the bars now. After he rolled it, I bent the bars back (what I thought were the bars) but after I returned from riding a few days ago I noticed they were bent again- which made me look a bit more closely at what was actually bending when I torqued the bars- it looks like maybe the top of the steering shaft

but- maybe bending the steering shaft like this is normal and I just never realized it until I tried to bend the bars back to a horizontal position???

A guy rolled it on its side while trying it.

I really have to give it a good "jolt" to bend it- normal or not? what do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure I could bend most stock handlebars without too much of a problem.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Go to a Can Am dealership and try that on one on a showroom floor to see if they all do it.
Sure does look strange though.
On the other hand Can Am is known for being the most lightest and high performance in the business and use the minimum barest of materials to get the job done ,remember their frames a few year ago.

Quick Reply: bending shaft normal or not? 2013 outlander 1000 xt