CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Ice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ice.

Whos running it and have you had any problems with overheating?

Old 06-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Its been in my bike for about one month now and I have not noticed any benefits as compared to regular coolant. The same riding situations that caused my fan to be activated while using regular coolant are still causing the fan to be activated with the engine ice. Maybe I am missing something?

Old 06-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Nah, it's probably just another marketing scam.

I haven't tried it, but I figure.

Does anyone know if in-line coolers make a difference??

Old 06-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

In-line water coolers do an incredible job considering just how small they are. They've been around for quite a while and come in all sorts of colors and sizes. Overall, you can expect at least a 20-25 degree difference.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Sweet, what exactly does the in-line cooler do?? I don't get how it can cool the coolant...?

Thx

Old 06-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

The billet aluminum sheds off the heat of the water via the use of small cooling fins as the water passes through it.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

TyreSpinner, the aluminum inline cooler that ironrod is talking about are machined out of aluminum (probably 6160, but that doesn't really matter much) and the metal has great heat transfer properties (high thermal conductivity-- 3 to 5 times that of steel). The cooler has fins machined along the body surface and air passes thru these fins. Coolant temperature is usually fairly hot, my Jeep runs 210 degrees normally. Ambient air is usually around 75 degrees on a typical day in the Northwest. Well, that aluminum inline cooler has the coolant running thru it from the engine and absorbs the heat (convection) from the coolant and eventually transfers it to the passing air. Also, the faster you ride, the higher heat transfer rate (thru convection to the air) is experienced. It is basically a cheap, simple radiator. For $20-30 you can't beat it. I plan on installing one on my Raptor when I get home.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

The inline coolers do work great. I pickd mine up at 4 stroke wars from Marky. He sells them on his site also. The egine ice, I don't know I just put some in mine and the fan come on just the same as it ever did in fact maybe even sooner. I went with this stuff since I went to the stage 3. Figured it couldn't hurt. Prolly doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

On my 2001 DS650 I installed Engine Ice as well as Aluminum radiator shrouds. (At the same time) Those two cooling items made a huge difference in how often the fan comes on. Yesterday I was out riding and the fan on my 2003 Baja came on once in a while; I never noticed the fan on the 2001 coming on at all. I can say that either the shrouds or the Engine Ice is doing its job very well. Add the in line cooler for even more heat dissipation. I'm going to install just Engine Ice in my 2003 Baja some day & see how much difference just that one product makes.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

I installed the engine ice and inline cooler today. Havent gotten to ride with it yet but, I will let everyone know how it does. I have had the shrouds for some time now. Would getting a second inline cooler make more difference if I put it in the other line?

Quick Reply: Engine Ice.