CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Jetting Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetting Help

Ok first off i know this is probally posted already but here goes.....

03 BaJa 650
Mods-

UNI Filter in Stock Airbox with Lid on

Modded End Cap

I live in Connecticut and Elevation is approximately 200 ft

I just ordered a jet kit and am looking for suggestions as to what jet/s should work best with this combo.I tried running without jetting it and it runs sweet and plugs look good but at one point while not riding very hard (mid range or below) the fan and temp light came on giving the indication of a lean setup... correct? Being that the plugs look good im assuming that i dont need to go much.I have also never jeted a carb before so yes....im a newbie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have the carb off , removed the 4 screws for the float bowl and now i await my jet kit.Also does anyone have a picture breakdown of the stock carburator? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also where is the mixture screw located?

Old 06-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

I just did my 2000. I went with the stage 3 set up,it's easy. Aithough I am using a 195 and the plug still white.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Jetting Help

Wouldnt the stage one setup fit my setup better?

Old 06-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

Yes it would. But you may want try it. Good luck

Old 06-24-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

It sounds like you ordered the DYNO Jet Kit. I'm at about the same elevation with an MBRP slip-on instead of the modded end cap, but hear that is about the same. Everything else is the same. I used the stage 1 and it worked great with my set-up. I went with a 185 main, second clip.
Watch the UNI filter, it sometimes pops out of the collar. It did it to mine once.
After you change the bowl screws to the hex head stainless, it isn't necessary to remove the carb to rejet, just loosen up the clamps on either side of the carb and tilt it towards clutch side and you can rejet. Enjoy the difference.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Jetting Help

Yeah that UNI has a tapered collar....I replaced my clamp with a wider/stronger one and seems to be holding good. Thx for the info.
Also i ended up getting the moose(?) jet kit cause the place i ordered from couldnt get the dynojet one...hopefully its the same.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

You all keep talking about these screws that you have to replace inside the carb. Does anyone have a picture of them, and could anyone tell me what grade and exactly the size of this bolt? Its a hex bolt right? I am getting ready to "attempt" to jet my bike myself and do the spring mod. I have never messed with a carburator before and would like to get it right the first time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Thanx all

kenny

Old 06-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

The bolts do not HAVE to be replaced, it just makes things a lot faster and easier later down the road. The originals have a phillips head, i think they are made out of zinc plated butter, and are loc-tited. You cannot get them out with a screwdriver. I think it is easiest to use needlenose vise-grips.

The bolts are on the outside, they are the 4 that hold the bowl on. They are fine thread metric, maybe M3 x .5 pitch, not for sure. Take your old ones to the hardware store with you to match up, and make sure to get one longer because it also holds your idle adjustment bracket.

Get allen head, stainless steel, any grade just so it wont rust and sieze in the carb. Ball-end metric allen wrenches are also nice, especially if you ever take the intake manifold off.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jetting Help

Stainless steel allens head screws, you need 3 4x10mm & 1 4x12mm. You can get them at Ace Hardware.

Old 06-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Jetting Help

Ok i have my carb apart and im wondering about the spring mod....exactly which spring do i cut and how much? Is this mod for a stock carb or aftermarket? Does it work well with all mods? Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: Jetting Help