CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what kind of oil should i run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of oil should i run?

dam 10 bucks a quart LOL!!!i dont want to run a fully synthetic oil anyways though

Old 07-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

ive tried alot of different oil and the only stuff that works for my clutch set-up and hooks up for me is 10-40 valvoline motorcycle oil with superior wet clutch protection, a few dollars a quart, and its non-synthetic

Old 07-24-2003, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

YA! That's what I said.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have gone through 3 clutches but ever since I used this oil I never had a problem so far.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

True Dat, True Dat.....................LOL

Old 07-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

if you go to a auto parts store it is only 7 something a quart, i know tvi runs there ds's on the red line, and those last pictures i saw of the 760 with 6 inch swing standing tall were from slipping clutches. but hey 100 dollar clutch plates once in a while or a new crank sooner, i think i'll go with the disk, and that is if they slip.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I know Gary is big on that oil, and that’s one thing that he and I disagree on - (which is pretty good considering!). I used to run that oil from late 1999 to the end of 2001. I will say the oil is good for the motor, especially if you don't change the oil that often. But the core problem with the oil is that it really makes the pads on the clutch way too slick - The clutch just wasn't designed to be run with a pure synthetic - and that's something that Bombardier warns against. The problem with a pure mineral oil was that it burned the clutch plates too easily, also allowing them to slip as well. I wish I could say I discovered how well Honda HP4 (part synthetic and part mineral) semi synthetic works for the DS, but I got that info from other riders here on ATV Connections. When I started using the HP4, I noticed that the clutch wasn't being replaced every six months, and oil changes were much MUCH cheaper. About the time many riders discovered HP4, Bombardier changed its recommendation on motor oil for the DS - from pure mineral and NO synthetic (as stated in owners manuals) to now producing their own semi-synthetic blend. After running HP4 for nearly 2 years, I am extremely happy. While, there are many good oils out there, for my application and my wallet I've been very happy with the results. I've yet to have any clutch slipping problems, and the last two times I have inspected the motor, when it was apart, just proves to me how well it works. The nice thing too is that HP4 is found at your local Honda Dealer and you can pick up an entire case for around $82!

I think oil will always be a personal preference, I know I used to be pretty stout on Redline. I just got tired of not being able to count on my clutch not slipping during a dune drag. As I mentioned before, I have not tried many of the other oil products out there including Valvoline and Amsoil. I know what works for me now; perhaps there is more than one choice out there.

Marky

Old 07-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

I run Suzuki 10w40 mineral-based motorcycle oil with no problems whatsoever. That's what my dealer uses when they do oil changes. And it is CHEAP! I paid 2.80$ per litre (Canadian funds, so it's even cheaper in USD) and it works great. It's API certified and all that bs...And it's the oil Suzuki dealers put in their high performance sport bikes, unless the owner wants synthetic.

Jeff

Old 07-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Tyre,

If you dont have clutch slipping problems, then you are totally right! Use quality oil and that works!