CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension

First off I would like to say that I am a proud owner of a new DS and love the thing. One problem though.
When I get on the machine it goes down probably 8 inches and rides hard as a rock. When I get off of it the shock does not come up at all. I tried adjusting the preload and got it to only sag 3 inches but it rides even harder than before. I tried adjusting both preload and compression all over the place but it still rides hard as a rock. By the way I weigh 210 so I don't think it is the spring. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, it beats the hell out of me on the trails.

Thanks
D.H.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

You have a bad shock with probably no pressure in it...

If your machine is still on warranty...have them replace it or rebuild it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

He's right.... Mechanical failure is under warranty. Take it back to the dealer!

Old 07-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Suspension

It could be the swing arm bolt is to tight...Mine was that way and did the same thing, check that before you go back to the dealer..

Old 07-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

Check what Wayne said first [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

Well where is our manners..??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]....???

WELCOME TO THE FORUM [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

swingarm bolt at top of shock, rebound damping adjustment, mine did the same thing new.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

Im experiecing the same problem as dhughes. I have tried absolutley everything to get the rear suspension to where it should be. Mine rides way way to stiff, i get bucked off on just about every bump i hit and i know it should be better then it is now. I have it set at 4 inches of sag right now and it seems like i had to tighten the spring down almost all the way to get it there. i just had a friend recharge the rezzie and that didnt help so i know that isnt the problem. What bolt are you guys talking about? The bolt that connects the bottom of the shock to the swingarm?

Welcome to the forums dhughes2k!

Old 07-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rear Suspension

thanks for the welcome.
I got the rezzie filled. it was low. I didn't try the bolt yeat but the rezzie just made it stiffer. The machine is brand new so i don't think the shock needs rebuilding. I will try the bolts and get back to you.
Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear Suspension

I hate to point out the obvious, but you guys have adjusted the rebound screw at the bottom of the shock, right?

It sort of sounds like the shock is "jacking down" from a too aggresive rebound setting.

I adjust these shocks with the compression and rebound adjustments. I only use the spring adjustment to set ride heigth

jbt

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension