CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

question about nos

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about nos

i got a chance to pick up a atv nos kit for 100 bucks. it a 10 shot jet with it. i was just flipping through some of the old posts and came across one that stated you could run a soleinoid for a fuel pump so when you hit the button it would also add fuel to the mixture, so you wouldnt have to run fat all the time. what type of pump could you run for a setup like this. would you just get a dual spout petcock for the fuel tank? let me hear some ideas? for a hundered bucks to gain 10hp sounds cheap and fairly safe. i did say fairly!

Old 08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

well, my idea for using the pump at wot depended on using a dry shot. By the sound of it, with the jet, it sounds like you have a wet shot. I dont kow how much equipment you have, but getting the neccesary parts might be a little pricy. Give me a list of the stuff you have so i understand what you're going to have to do/get.

Old 08-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

i am reciveing the kit this weekend. from what im told he has a bottle, soleniod, switch. he told me it was a dry kit

Old 08-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

With only a ten horsepower shot, you should be okay without the fuel solenoid.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

what about the new boondocker system. anyone had the chance to use it yet? how does thei manifold system increase the amount of fuel going to the engine? do you have to jet up to use their kit?

Old 08-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

with just a 10 shot due i have to jet up. is it even worth running nitrous for 10, will i feel a difference.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

ok i now have the kit. it has a 10oz bottle solenoid, switch, steel braided lines, but no nozzel. is it possoble to run a foger nozzel that would add extra fuel at the same time so you woulndt have to run fat all the time. some how run an electric fuel pump to a fuel solenoid. how hard would it be to jet the nitrous and fuel jets in the fogger nozzel to to keep a good mixture condition? would it be possible to spray befort the carb? some of these may be dome questions, but from what i understand i should be able to make this work. i would like to try to gain about 20hp on the juice.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

demonds has a lot of knowledge on the nos set up pm him, i think boxman runs his old set-up.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so let me get this streight, you have a 10 oz bottle, otherwise known as a sneaky pete, a solenoid, switches and steel lines. Well with a 10 hp setup you would be ok but yes as far as I know you would have to have a nozzle of some sort. Is there a thing on the end of one of lines that regulates how much NOS is being shot? or is there just an open end? If you want 20 hp then you have about a third of what you will need. You need a Nitrous solenoid(which you have), Fuel solenoid, lines for both, a fuel pump, a fogger nozzle(on a wet system the nozzle will mix the Nitrous and the fuel with jets that regulate the flow of each). For a complete setup, I recomend also getting a bottle heater, and Nitrous and fuel pressure guages. Do some homework on how this stuff works. You need to know the ins and outs of NOS or your playing with fire(no pun intended). Read up on it on the holly-Nos site and also on the NX(nitrous Express) sites. They have great info on them and I learned alot from then myself in addition to what people like Majorecho taught me. I will help you out if you need but do some homework first, I dont mean to sound rude but you need to learn alot, right now I fear for your quad.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

The fogger does virtually no regulation, you need Nos jets to regulate.

We tested ours by removing the fogger and letting it spray into the open air, and wow! what a cloud of MIST! and that is through a tiny jet!
if you ran the NOS through the fogger alone you would empty your NOS bottle in 5 seconds and it would be taps for the motor.

NOS bottle to solonoid to jets to fogger.

gas fuel pump to pressure switch to solonoid to fogger.

gotta do it that way .
The regulation is through the nozzle stricture that is the only thing that regulates. Running rich is not a problem.

the real problem is how much air you have going into the engine. there is only so much air going in and it will dissolve only so much fuel

total ful load is the CARBURETOR fuel and the NOS WET INJECTED FUEL, and if you inject TOO MUCH the fuel will just condense out and the NOS will go in without fuel.

Then you see puffs of black smoke and other very bad things come out of your exhaust.

you can only inject so much NOS in a normally aspirated engine without killing the motor.

to get more you would have to have fuel injection.
12 hp in a 400 is save
15 hp in a 500 is safe. 18 hp in a ds650 is safe.

anything over that you will be eating up your motor soon and rebuilding a lot.I think 20 hp is max for a 727 safely.

if you want to go higher you willl have to use a different fuel (NOT ALCOHOL, that is WORSE)

you could use propane and NOS, then you would be unlimited in the amount of NOS/FUEL you could inject, cause they are both gases.

you could inject 50 hp into a 500 cc motor. But it would probably freeze up so you could only use it breifly

watch your exhaust, if you have black puffs coming out, you are melting aluminum. Your jetting is wrong and you need richer.

also keep your fuel line VERY VERY SHORT for the NOS IS INSTANT and the fuel is not, and the BRIEF delay of fuel damages motor a little each time.

Quick Reply: question about nos