CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dune Fest - two thumbs down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dune Fest - two thumbs down!

Gotcha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Sorry it's late and I started my day at 5 AM....Lil slow in teh head.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

On the bright side, it was good to see the cool bikes out at the drags and other events (which anyone can see other places for a lot cheaper). I thought vendor row was unsafe. They had a single lane for two way auto traffic. I was really dusty too. I did pick up an item at one of the booths - so there is a positive note for someone. The people searching the cars were brainless. They couldn't keep track of what car had been searched - mine was searched several times because of no communication between the searchers, which just held up the line to get into the event longer than needed. Not being able to just race with some friends was WAY too lame. In the end, it just wasn't worth the money I paid. We all seem to have a good time getting together when we meet at the dunes, why pay all that money for less fun?

Send in your comments to the Dune Fest Commitee here.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

$85 to camp at Dune Fest
$25 Per Person to watch the drags.
$150 in groceries
$15 for the beer that got confiscated
$85 bar tab at the beer gardens to make up for the confiscated beer
$100 in race gas that didn't get used cuz you couldn't race with your friends
$2 gas can & $50 for Alcohol fuel

$512 total - and I didn't see one party, one wet T-Shirt contest, and got to feel guilty about having a beer in my RV after a long ride.

WHERE WAS THE FEST??????

Old 08-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ironrod is right the price to stay on the sand is high but, when you divide that number by a family it isn't so bad. we like the big group of people we looked forward to ironrod coming bye camp everynight, plus dasandbomb and his family, there was always some form of entertainment, trucks getting stuck was fun the first and last days. the racing on the flats was monitors a lot but i know i got a lot of racing in there, you could always tell when it was time to move to another race area, plus it was fun to go around and just meet people. and there was hills to race on. plus just the dopes that get out of hand, i always get my son and show, him that is what it is like to be stupid. i think my wife and kids liked vendor row, they bought a lot of shirts and hats and stickers so to them it was all good, but as stated earlier it was crowded.
i think the biggest complaint was the racing brackets if you don't have a banshee or a 250 r you seem to be odd child out. then the sportman class was a joke all the pro's want to come and race for practice and the beginners get tired of waiting forever for 5-9 seconds of fun. it also made for way long events i started the sportman class at 10 am and didn't get out of there until 2 which lucky for me i ate before i went over.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

sandman and ironrod are right, although this was my first time at dunefest, i was a bit disappointed after all of the hype. don't get me wrong, i had a great time, but i was extremely pissed when the banshees had 4 events they could enter, and the fourstrokes had 2, then you had to wait for the banshees to race, and had to race against them. no matter how some of your fourstrokes are set up, you are NOT going to beat a built 2-stroke. sandman took second in the single cyclinder class of king of the dunes. he got beat out by a built quadzilla with a wheelie bar. gee, there's a good competition[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] disgusts me

Old 08-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Sandman on another point, I did enjoy the people there, just like I enjoy it everytime I ride with him and his crew. I was also able to spend some time with the Out-4-Sand folks, and again, really ejoyed them too. But I know I didn't need to go to Dune Fest to do it!

Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man that really BLOWS!!!

Thier is nothing worse than a bad dune trip! especially when you are looking foward to the even for months prior. But thier is always usually something good to come out of going, and a lesson to be learned afterwards.

Even here at are little spot of sand, the big weekends can get REALLY old in a hurry.

Bigger.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bigslim78
sandman and ironrod are right, although this was my first time at dunefest, i was a bit disappointed after all of the hype. don't get me wrong, i had a great time, but i was extremely pissed when the banshees had 4 events they could enter, and the fourstrokes had 2, then you had to wait for the banshees to race, and had to race against them. no matter how some of your fourstrokes are set up, you are NOT going to beat a built 2-stroke. sandman took second in the single cyclinder class of king of the dunes. he got beat out by a built quadzilla with a wheelie bar. gee, there's a good competition[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] disgusts me
I totaly agree!! What really made me mad was the night race's, the cops closed it down and gave tickets if you raced after that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

kc

Old 08-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

I was only there on Friday, but I have to say I had a blast! Ironrod is right about the announcer being hard to hear and not very organized, but I thought vendor row was cool. It did take a little longer between events than I thought it would, but it was still fun. I really enjoyed meeting Sandman, BigSlim, Parker and Ironrod. The only thing that disappointed me was that I didn't get to see Gary's NOS bike run.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I wish I could have stayed for the whole thing. I will be there next year though.

I for one, do not miss the wet t-shirt contest or the alcohol. It's not that I lack testosterone and don't ever drink, but I have two young children who are just learning to ride and I believe they are safer since the drinking on the sand has at least slowed down. I don't feel like I wasted my $25 and I will be back. Gary if you're reading this, maybe you could suggest that they get a local radio station to do the announcing next year. They could set up a booth in Vendor row and do their show live from Dunefest. Just a thought. The announcer really needed help.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i'll go back the more they see us four stroke guys the more we will be noticed, the alcohol wasn't missing it was all over, it just didn't get out of hand like in the past. and it was nice to know that the crazy drivers weren't to drunk, and i even say a guy getting a dui and his quad being towed. i think we all actually had a great time just it's always easy to say what could have been better on hind site. plus dunefest is held in a small town and it is probably there biggest money thing for the year, so the money thing is somewhat easier to take when you know you are helping a small town.

Quick Reply: Dune Fest - two thumbs down!