CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dune Fest - two thumbs down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dune Fest - two thumbs down!

It's too bad that they cant enforce the current laws on the books, rather than take everyone else's freedom away. I have no problem with me drinking a cold beer after a long ride. I have a problem supporting an organization that thinks that I am wrong when it comes to that. However, I do support 4 stroke events in general. I just think I will have to choose more carefully what 4 stroke event I support in the future.

I think what really made it bad for me was the fact that I was there two years ago for my first Dune Fest. I really enjoyed it. It did get a little out of hand for a few moments, but the police were there taking care of the law breakers very quickly. Last year, law enforcement was underpowered and couldn't do anything about the problems. In fact, I know several that simply walked away from thier duty. When that happens, I think they (the police and the organization) are at fault, not the law abiding public.

Let's face it, Dune Fest will never again be what it was. The problem I had this year was the fact that the police were cracking down on things that were not even illegal. I kinda felt like I was in **** Germany or something. It was not the relaxing vacation that I wanted, and expected. For those that like to compete, I can see that they were able to enjoy themselves somewhat. But, I am not one of those type. I enjoy the social aspects of duning more than the competition. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just stating what I enjoy. The Vendors were not having fun either; Matt at DTR was stressed &Gary was stressed. I was stressed because I thought the police would rip around at unsafe speeds in thier two wheel drive pickups with lights blareing and sirens going if two people just decided to have a friendly race.

I also saw a pretty shotty rescue of a guy that went over a razor back and managed to get his leg broken. They hauled the guy out on a six-wheeled quad trailer and gave the guy no pain killers. It took them 20 minues at 1.5 mph to get the guy to the ambulance. I got to say that that was below standard when it comes to Rescue on other weekends on the Oregon Dunes. A full 4X4 SUV completely equipmed with immediate medical equipment and drugs are usually available.

As mentioned before, Vendor row was unsafe. Having only one lane of traffic for two way traffic was really something to see. After two trips fighting that whole mess, I stopped going to Vendor Row.

All in all, I guess it would have been nice to know what Dune Fest was going to be before I spent all that money. To think what more mods I could have purchased with that money is really a disappointment. I also think that I could have had just as much fun (or more) with the people I met in any other dune area in Oregon rather than Dune Fest.

But, I will say this .... the sand that weekend was the best sand I have ever been on. I hear Coos Bay was just as good and that many of the people that didn't go to Dune Fest this year, went there instead. Next year, that's where I will go.

Marky