CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

rode the lightened crank 760

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rode the lightened crank 760

well the 760 nos machine popped on thursday morning, turns out that nos blowing up is very damaging, the carb was to blame. well a tear down and a new set of rings and it fired back up. gary is a pretty nice guy told me to take it out and see if i could get it to blow up, and i was happy to help, i just couldn't get it to pop. well turns out the cylinder, took some damage, it was letting gas past the rings in a big way. well i got a few runs on it before i took it back, the vibration that people were worried about wasn't there, the speed was pretty good for a damaged cylinder, it was able to take the 680 so with all things back to normal it should be pretty exciting.

one of garys customers was there with a pami 760 race head full works, i didn't ask about posting his name so i won't but he was a great guy, one of the nicest guys i meet in a long time he has a very custom ds, and he let me take it for a real ride. first place i took it was banshee hill. on flat drags the 720 was there with the 760, and the 720 doesn't have the swingarm yet. we weren't sure if the 720 might not have beat the 760. but we never went head to head. but on that hill there is a s turn 3/4 up you have to let of trottle then recover the 720 did not recover like the 760, i'm not saying the 720 was bad but the the 760 was better.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Not surprizing. That is were that stroker comes in handy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] So is this Gary's new no balancer abortion he put together? I am a little dissapointed that it didn't perform any better than your 720. Is his 760 running Dual carbs? How about yours? Sounds like you guy's had a lot of fun though.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

it wasn't garys 760 that i was referring to. it was a customer of his with a pami 760, we both talked about it and felt they were very simlar except i have to say i felt like the 760 pulled the steep hill stronger, on the flats the 720 felt quicker, not faster just quicker. i think the 760 would edge the 720 in 300 feet but the 720 would have won in 600 so there is another take i guess we all have them. oh and the 760 did have dual carbs, which was a another area of debate.

the lighten crank is going to work, i was one that thought it would shake itself apart, it wasn't an issue. even after the nos thing, it was rideable. i'll give gary this he was the best about the engine, it had a young pilot and some of the problems go there, it was a new engine that needed some dailing in, but between girls and the thrill of nos, i think he forgot to help gary, he is planning on going to ds days so you guys that go it should be fun for you, to see that machine, i guess with the new crank it turns out to be a 770, that should confuse the raptor boys.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Your going to be there also aren't you?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i'm planning on it the wifes work my have shortened the stay but it would be cool to meet up, it is always a great time for me to meet people off of the forum. plus maybe gary will let me ride that monster with the nos[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i got to tell you he was the best he let me use tools and get parts out of an engine to keep my machine running. i had planned on having him and his crew over for steak dinner, but since the races went so long he ended up having dinner for us, so i got there and told the guys i got second and they said wheres your trophy? so i had to run back and get that. they sandbaged us on our relay trophy. that was the funnest event, i'd like to see a lot more of that. next time hopefully we can come full force.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Why is it that Gary seems to have such a hard time with the NOS???? Is he running huge shots or what? The stuff isnt that hard to run and figure out.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

probably because he puts his customers first and works on his stuff last when he gets a chance inbetween people calling going i broke my ds and what do i do, young pilots seeking the thrill of a nos ride, and not just large shots i think he had it at 60+. and he seems to run it all the time fine, it is when he gets a new engine, like dunefest it takes time to dail in and that guy just doesn't seem to have a lot of extra time. i've never heard him pop a engine it has always been someone riding his quad that does it. for those of you that have not been to his store he is the captain there eveything goes thru him, he is a very busy guy. every sale and all ds info he takes care of. plus the engine work he does. those are some of the reasons i can see, but maybe it is as easy as bad luck, plus if you want to push thing to the edge some times to go over. i kept want a perfect start at the drags and finally got real close .395 but that was on the wrong side red light i lost.