CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New magazine article ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New magazine article ???

I had to bring this your attention. For the VERY first time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I realize that magazines articles are only an extension of advertizing. The September issue of Dirt Wheels pits all the big-boy-quads against each other. That is to say that the magazine does a shootout between the open-class monsters.

An "04" Kawi 700
An "03" Bomb DS 650
and An "03" Yami RAP 660

I found the article to be interesting and at times mind boggling. The DS was "king of the horse power"
Best in breaking, and best in suspension but came in third in the shootout. They actually said that the DS 650 handled very well and was tops in suspension, but then in the same paragraph said that it was "too wide" for trails and too heavey to turn. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] handled well????? too hard to turn???? Which is it?

It just so happens that the new Yahmaha 450 has been on it's last two covers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] While I understand that the new 450 is probably one of the best out of the box made quads or at least the newest and highly marketed, I would hope that the author of the articles would be at least honest and non-contradictory.
When talking about the DS they actually give credit to the beast with in the DS. The Rotax monster was full of power (they do mention the short rev issue on the stocker) taking both of the other bikes in power and their 300ft drags, but later say that the bike has a weak bottom end and that the Rappy had smoother and a broader power curve. I've never thought of my bike as being REV MACHINE tearing up the top end... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

They do mention that on trails, the Rappy is easier to turn (because we're too wide) and that a lack of reverse hurts us. I'll give them that.... One of the riders stated that the DS was the best performer but that it was just too big. ???????????? BEST is BEST no matter how big it is.

The article does state that if "we were in the open desert or dune trail" that the DS would be the bike, but that if you were under 5'10" you hated it and if you were over 5'10" you loved it. ARE THERE A LOT OF GUYS OUT THERE UNDER 5'10"?????????? WHY ARE ALL OF THESE TESTERS SO SHORT???? WHAT ABOUT THE 6'1" AND OVER GUYS, LET ALONE THE 6'10" 320LB GUYS LIKE ME?????

sorry about the rant, however, there are way too many contradictory statements in this article to be anything more than advertising/marketing based drab. I would love to see an article done by real men who are intermediate riders in various settings. Dunes/open desert/ and wooded trails. That ought to do... Unfortunately, I don't think that the magazines will ever show that article to the public. The article will never see the light of day.

Unfortunately, I see a day when bikes like the DS will be gone and we'll all be forced to buy common market-place bikes and retro them for our size simply because we can't get aftermarket parts for the darn thing.

Thanks for listening.

Ride hard, ride safe and God bless.

One last thing, has anybody ever brought up the point that the Rappy has more CC's, less weight and the Rotax/DS still out runs it in stock form? I think the RAPPY is a great bike and would probably have one if I was a smaller guy, heck, I'd probably have a Z400 if I was a smaller guy. LET's JUST KEEP IT HONEST!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Big Daddy!!!!!! I hear yah!!!! The problem is they put those little punk MX racer kids on these thing s to test them and the DS is such an animal it scares them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] HAnds done and bar none the DS is the best quad out there for the "Larger" riders. Smaller guy's won't like it because it is 2 hard to throw around. And who really cares about the reverse? I don't think I have ever seen Wshrdskin use the reverse on his Rappy!. That is because he is a real man and knows how to ride!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway you make a very valid point, why don't we make our own publication up and compete with these clowns over at Dirt Wheels? I have been riding every form of ATV since I was 5 yrs old and I have probably twice the knowledge of those little punk MX kids about ATV's when it comes down to the real reason people buy and ride them. Those kids are dirt bikers who wandered off in to the Quad world, and they just don't have the stick time behind them. Just my observation. What should we call our new Magazine?

Old 08-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well Punisher, I think the magazine should be called

DS Dirt

It just so happens to be that the article shows the riders, and there was an old guy who loved the KFX, and a couple of young guys who look pretty small on the quads. Obviously, the pro rider was an ex racer of some kind and the intermediate rider stated that the DS was great But.......... I think the editors got to him! Rat Bastages!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

See ya around Angry!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I like the DS's unique styling, but at the same time think that it looks a little awkward. Love to get for a rip on one though .. I'm only 5'8 and 165 so perhaps I'd find it too big for me too .. but who cares .. there's lots of fellas out there that think other quads are too small .. you can't please everyone. Bomb makes great engines .. had a Safari with the 377 twin carb .. can't kill those suckers!!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First off the never take into consideration the the DS is BY FAR engineered better than the other two. The DS is heavy for a reason, and it is easy to see WHY the DS wieghs more, everything is biult to last. ALSO the DS is 100 times easier to work on!! and that should be a consideration by Dirtwheels, cause the average guys is going to do his own work to his quad(or atleast try) before taking it to a Stealer,um I mean Dealer. You can jet the carb on a DS in 10 minutes! (try that on a V-or Rappy), you can have ALL the plastic off of the DS in 5 min. you RARELY have to remove anything on the DS to get to something else.

It literally took me 45 minutes from start to finish last night to have the head,and Cylinder off of my DS.

I have a V-force, and I like the quad alot, but it is no where near the Quality of my DS.

Bigger.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

When I first bought my DS I was scared of it due to its size, but it didn't take long at all before it no longer felt huge but just right. The other day my friend wanted me to take a spin on his Z400, he just had it dynoed, and when I got on it it felt like a kids quad;plain all out tiny. Maybe if their test riders rode the DS and only the DS for say a week the they might sing a different tune. I know I'll never go back to a "little" quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] By the way I am 5'11 and weigh 185 pounds, so I am not a big guy...........except for my ego.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i don't get the deal with the weight, the suspension works it just fine. the trail thing has always been nonsence also go get a bike if you want to ride tight trails, iv'e rode enough to know the ds goes where the others go, everyone thinks they would like to do 50 thru the trees but the truth is the trees do a lot of damage when you mess up even on a skinny warrior. you have to learn to ride the ds. oh i've read those tests and even added the score only to see that it looked like the ds won but they put it in last. and the bottom line is when you are average at everything it also means your not good at anything, and since the ds is a great duner i'll go with that and get a dirt bike for the trails, or a 4x4 quad.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:22 PM
sam
Pro Rider

hay did your magizine come with all the pages stuck together? MAN they strocked Yamaha preaty hard over the yfz450. talk about bias, someone could of flicked a booger on it and they would of explane how much they loved it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
but that if you were under 5'10" you hated it and if you were over 5'10" you loved it.

lol, well that puts me in quite a predicament then, since i am 5'10", and like 200lbs and i love the machine,woudn't trade it for anything,

Old 08-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

I think DirtWheels passes around the awards to keep the advertising dollars flowing.

I do notice the weight when I get on my Banshee. The Banshee seems to skip over bumps that the DS plows through. It's not a problem due to the great suspension, it just feels different. The DS also doesn't get as much air on jumps. On the flip-side nothing comes out of the hole like a DS, while the Raptors are trying to get the front down, I'm grabbing 3rd gear.

I absolutely love the fact that I didn't have to spend $700 to make my DS wider.

Quick Reply: New magazine article ???