CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Snow wheelies..possible on a DS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow wheelies..possible on a DS??

Winter will be coming along some day...and I was watching these videos of Z400s and Raptors lifting wheelies in the snow like it was nothing...With knobby tires...

I can't wait till winter to try it...so I thought i'd ask...

Is it possible?? I think it would just spin out like mad...like it does in sand for me......

Now I don't mean deep snow or whatever...just ground covered in a few inches of snow.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

in deep snow it will probably be kind of tough but id the snow is not too deep or theres any spots on the ground without snow you will wheelie like crazy. ur tires will spin bad in the snow but when they hit a spot where they can get any traction the front end goes skyward fast.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

it is like we talked about last winter, it is your traction. this is where you might want to start looking at the adds at the bottom of the page and see if anyone has a large set of tires, get as big of a foot print as possible, stiffen the rear spring this will help, and start practice now. bigslim rides with me and at first, he thought his machine wouldn't wheelie, and i would get on it and go a long time in a wheelie, well he can't get beat at anything so he kept working the wheelies, and guess what i need to start practicing some more or he will be showing me how it is done.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Prowedge tires are all you need . .5 to 1.5 psi and you should be able to wheelie in any kind of snow without even trying. I have trouble drag racing because there is so much traction it wants to do wheelies even if you are leaning over the bars. PM me if you want video proof and have a fast connection.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Do you mean 4-snows?? Are they the same thing...I'm kinda confused on that matter...

Do they work good in snow even on a Big Pig DS?

Thanks

Jeff

Oh, and Sandman, I can lift up the wheelie easily now even with my too-tall gearing in 2nd gear. Now I just need to learn to keep it up there without busting up my pipe.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

what kind of grab bar are you running? you should try a smaller front sprocket.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

in few inches, usually i can dig down to the dirt and pull a small wheelie, but usually it just keeps spin cuz the ground is frozen, this is with my realtors, i've never tried 4-snows or prowedges

Old 08-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

The banshee I was racing in the video had 4snows and I was running prowedges. My cannondale was brand new stock and the banshee was running over 70 horse so he easily beat me. I dont know if you can tell but I could hardly keep the front end down and had to keep letting off. Ill try to get some more vids to ya. Realators are good in snow but they dont have the floatation abilty of the mushy prowedges so they tend to dig in and spin .

Old 08-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

well i've looked at the 4 snows, but i thought they were a lil too soft, like i run down the river alot in the winter and i dont' want to wear them out quickly, i also heard that they expand wen they get spinnning, i was thinking about some 23" gator or mudbugs for this winter, unless i can buy tracks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have had the same set of pro wegdes for the last 4 years and have yet to cut or rip them. You shouldnt have much wear unless you run them backwards for even more traction. I run about half glare ice rivers and half trails. I can garantee you will regret using a mud tire in snow. The agressive tread will just dig holes and you will end up spinning . I think the secret of the design is when they balloon up the faster you go making the scoops rise in hieght . I was a total sceptic for almost ten years before I saw the light and tried a pair. I think the only thing better would be a full blown sand tire.

Quick Reply: Snow wheelies..possible on a DS??