CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

just got back from silver lake, what a blast.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003 | 02:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default just got back from silver lake, what a blast.....

well we had planned our riding trip to the badlands (4 hours away) but when we got word that the park was closed on saturday, that put a damper on things.... (although i later found out that only part of the park was closed...)

a few freinds of ours were taking thier yfz's and ds up to silver lake at that same time, so we thought wed give silver lake a shot....

im very glad we did....

my baja only had about 6 hours and one oil change under its belt. just before we had left i received my new pure sport realtor tires (had them premounted on douglas red labels)

the trip actually ended up taking like 5 hours but i think it was worth it

i know in most of the magazines they say the DS is a dune machine, and they...well..MEAN IT!

this thing is a total blast in the sand.... the only thing i wished was different was that i had paddles (being arranged now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) and my new mbrp exhuast on (coming soon)

i hadnt jumped the DS more than a couple of feet previous to this trip, and there were a few spots where ppl actually got off their machines to waive jumpers on... i took advantage of this and jumped...first jump was a test to get a feel for the lip and the landing (prolly only 2-3 feet of the ground) after that i pinned it in 3rd and just flew.... i went somewhat sideways because the lip wasnt the same, but man o man is the suspension forgiving! it felt like i was landing on a cloud compared to every other quad ive jumped in the past...

now that im dune-addicted and will soon have a set of paddles some freinds and I are planning a trip to little shara next year (should be a blast)

anyone else been to silver lake? what did you guys think of it? (i thought it was great, except a little on the small side..)

i also liked the drags down by the beach (it was hillarious putting mildly modded raptors, and a few banshees to shame!)

i didnt wear a chest protector so on two different occasions i got BLASTED with sand (once from a 420 shee, and the other from a kx250 DB {not a fair race i know, but most of the drags had every kind of vehicle in them from dune buggies, to DB's to quads to trucks...}

does anyone have good pictures/videos of ds dune action? (any dunes dosnt matter) ive been looking awhile and found the wyoduner site with a good amount of vids, but would like more

Old 08-12-2003 | 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

welcome,you will never look at dirt the same...

Old 08-12-2003 | 03:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

ya no kidding... i only wish i lived closer to sand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

after the entrance to the park there is like a 1/2 mile drive that is all sand u have to go up to get into the actual park. the first time i rode this it felt so wierd because the butt end of the ds kept swaying side to side from the ruts of the trucks

im trying to find out how far all the different dunes are from me, so i can hit them more often [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003 | 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Reading your post is like de ja vu all over for me. My first taste of sand was at Razor road her in So Cal. A teeny tiny bit of sand but was enough to know I wanted more. The next trip was Glamis. Then Pismo, then Dumont, then Little Sahara Utah then St Anthonys, Idaho. Oregon Dunes here I come. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Click my sig, there's plenty of DS sand videos for you of my brother and other kinds of quads.

Old 08-13-2003 | 01:54 AM
|
Pro Rider

ok thanks ill check them out now

ya sand is so fun to ride in...and its so forgiving when u land! (im sure id rather take a spill on sand then on asphalt/dirt!)

Old 08-13-2003 | 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

ROOST were you there on Sun ? I was there, I was the fast yellow ds that was there.. I didn't see any races on Monday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img], so I didn't hang out at the strip much.

Old 08-13-2003 | 03:54 AM
|
Pro Rider

ya i was

did you see any ds bajas?

i saw 3 or 4 yellow ds's

two had chicks on them, the other was a guy

(i know that one of those chicks is FAST!)

i was in a few drags with her and she seemed to know how to work the quad (usually was out in front of the pack of shees, rappies and a few DB's)

so i may have seen you (i spent the majority of my time on test hill and the following hills, that or down by the beach)

Old 08-13-2003 | 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

I saw a couple of Baja's ..I didn't see the girl on the ds...I would of had to talk to her !
I was racing between 1 and 3 in the afternoon...My brother got some video of me racing, I will post it when he sends it to me, ,most of the time I was tooling around with my wife or my brother on a 250 ex..I could not get the wife to go up any of the big hills. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] maybe next time...this is the 1st time she has rode in 4 years.
I can't wait to go back
Probably Labor Day ?

Old 08-13-2003 | 09:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

ya we were thinking labor day weekend...but then thought about the line to get in...i would be HUGE....

the lines on sat were especially nutz.....we had to wait in line for 2 hours the previous night, to get our voucher, then wait in line again the next morning to park.... (we dont go with anyone who wants to take the tow vehicle on the sand, so we have to have parking lot access)

Old 08-13-2003 | 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Its a 5 hour drive for me also, but well worth the trip. Ive been there 3 times this summer, and I will be heading back for one more just after peek season. Also, I am going to Little Sahara Oklahoma on October 9th - 12th this fall. My wife and I are taking the trip without the kids.

DStroyer

Quick Reply: just got back from silver lake, what a blast.....