CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!

I have a fuel filter and who says it's a piece of dirt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I think i'm the only one having problems with a 45...damnit.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Could the float sticking open cause the quad to stall at high-RPM (high vaccuum) and WOT??
YES! It was dumping raw (non atomized) fuel in the motor, that is why your plugs are so black with soot.

I wouldn't stress over the carb rebuild at this point. You didn't say how old the carb is, but it would have to sit unused for a lot longer than 14 days to varnish up. A rebuild may be a little harsh at this time. These TM style Mikuni's seem to like to hang up the float for no apparent reason sometimes. You might pull the bowl off and check the movement of the float to see if there is any sticking or binding. I still suspect the fuel tank of having debris, a good gust of wind and dust while you are refueling is all it takes to put some small grains of material in the tank, and it’s soon on the way to your needle and seat.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

True, I'm just guessing it's that it's a chunk of dirt...... I like lectron carbs tyre....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I cleaned out my tank with crushed stone and flushed the whole tank with gas twice to get out the rest of it....Drained the tank dry too and cleaned the screens on the fuel valve (they were in perfect shape). My mechanic (when I had my sled) said that fuel filters can't be used on quads because of the gravity feed....That I could only use fuel screens..Which I already have on the petcock...I know another one couldn't hurt I guess...

I'll open up the carb as I add the pump and mess around with the springs n see whats up....The quad has never sit for long periods of time with gas in the bowl....

Jeff

Old 08-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few questions carb related too...

Lately...my quad is starting hard...the weather hasn't changed or anything...I used to be able to start it right up on the first crank without choke....Even when it hadn't been started in a few days. Now I can hold the starter button down for 5 secs...either it only turns but doesnt start...or it starts but dies immediatly....Then I try again and after a few turns it starts and stays on with some throttle baby'ing...then she idles fine and I'm on my way...

The only thing I messed around with was the idle speed (it was way too high...There was a Stage 1 DS with a 45mm in a video Birdoprey sent me...and I heard it idle..and was like whoa...mine idles so much faster...so I took it down some..) I know it makes sense for it being the idle speed..but should it be that hard to start?!?

I don't find choke to be necessary in the summer months...

Any opinions would be appreciated..Thanks

Old 08-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TyreSpinner
I have a few questions carb related too...Lately...my quad is starting hard...the weather hasn't changed or anything...I used to be able to start it right up on the first crank without choke....Even when it hadn't been started in a few days. Now I can hold the starter button down for 5 secs...either it only turns but doesnt start...or it starts but dies immediatly....Then I try again and after a few turns it starts and stays on with some throttle baby'ing...then she idles fine and I'm on my way...The only thing I messed around with was the idle speed (it was way too high...There was a Stage 1 DS with a 45mm in a video Birdoprey sent me...and I heard it idle..and was like whoa...mine idles so much faster...so I took it down some..) I know it makes sense for it being the idle speed..but should it be that hard to start?!?I don't find choke to be necessary in the summer months...Any opinions would be appreciated..Thanks
1: Valves ( check tham bad boys!!!)
2: Might be your bad plugs. Mine was the same, i replaced the plugs and now it fires right up..

Old 08-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Damn forgot bout them plugs...

And I keep putting off checking the valves...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

All I need is angled feeler gauges right?? But I don't have a torque wrench for the valve cover...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know you got plenty of stuff here to look into from all the posts, and I don't have any suggestions to add,
but I do wanna mention that I've used inline fuel filters on all my quads, 3-wheelers, and street bike, all of which are gravity feed, for many years, and I won't have a bike without one. Just checking the fuel level by removing the cap allows the wind to deposit all kinds of crap that can and will get through a screen, especially in the dunes. I use the two piece anodized aluminum filters with a brass stone element that is cleanable, $7 ea. from auto parts stores and some ATV catalogs.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Well I think the definition for fuel filter he had in mind was the ones they use on cars...They are big and require some pressure for the fuel to pass through it quickly...But for a gravity feed...The filter will slow down the fuel flow to a halt...

The "fuel filter" you are using Hightower, is it just a screen that blocks debris/crap from going by?? Or is it a more complicated filtration system??

Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

not to detract from the conversation, but I thought WOT created a low vacumn situation. This would make the engine more susceptible to exhibiting sympthoms of clogging or low fuel flow rates.

jbt

Quick Reply: DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!