CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!

Here we go again with my cranky 45...

Was riding on a dirt road at WOT in 5th...when out of the blue It loses power and coasts to a stop [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Then came the profanity. (Such filth as "Gosh Darn It", "Shoot the bear" and "Poop in the park" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

I dismount(yep) the quad and relieve myself on the side of the road... Then I think of last time when the exact same thing happened...So I go over and turn the fuel valve to reserve just in case I'm out of gas (Maybe I was, who knows). After many cranks, and some choke, it started up...but puffed black smoke and didn't run right for a few seconds after I turned off the choke...then all was normal. So I switch the petcock back to "On" and drive away. After a few minutes of 3/4 throttle riding, I release the gas to shift to the next gear and it dies on me again...

So I'm thinking, yea...I must be out of gas...So I turn the petcock to reserve again. I just sat there for a few seconds to give my battery time to recouperate after all that cranking it's been doing...Then I take a whiff and I was like "Damn, it smells like bacon"...I look down and there's gas all over my front sprocket cover and some dripping down from the frame around the carb area. So I quickly shut off the gas and take off the seat. Both of my overflow/vent tubes (the small one at the float bowl and the bigger tube that connects higher..next to the carb throat) were pissing gas on my air box cover (thank god i run with the lid ON)...Then came some more profanity...

I switched it back over to reserve and no gas came out of the vent tubes...So I put the seat back on...Turned on the choke and took about 20 seconds of cranking to start it up (pausing in between attempts)...It starts up, does it's thing...Puffs some black some...then returns to normal idle...I take off and get home without a problem (not far)..And here I am.

I know the only reason that fuel could be reaching both overflow tubes is that the needle valve is letting gas flow in...either because of the float level or a leaky needle valve. Last time I took off the bowl...My float levels were fine, I replaced the Needle valve o-ring and tested to see if the valve let any gas pass when the floats were pushed up...It didn't leak a drop... This is the first time since I replaced the o-ring that I have had overflow from the tubes...

I'm frustrated with this POS carb...ALL the problems that I've had with my DS since I bought it were because of the CARB....Grrr.

Help me please.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Your float stuck open, probably a small piece of crap got in the needle valve. When this happens again, if it does, tap the carb with a screwdriver handle or something similar around the fuel bowl. And when you go to start it hold the throttle wide open to reduce the flooded condition. If it keeps happening you might have to drain your tank and replace the fuel filter (screen) in the tank.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

KenDs beat me to it Tyrespinner. I think that your float did stick open, and that most likely there are several problems that need to be looked at. First off, drain and clean the system - let's get this thing licked once and for all. I would do exactly what kenDs said and a couple of steps further. I would also go down to your local parts store and buy a gallon of Carb Dip. I would take your Carb off and apart, right down to the bare bones of it. EVERYTHING that is rubber or plastic must come off. From the looks of that beast (age and all) it needs to be torn down. Careful not to tear any gaskets, be careful on the float bowl screws so as not to tear them up again. The dip will have little basket that comes with it, put thall the little parts in it first then the body of the carb. I'm talking the needles, clips, jets, screws, plates, slides EVERYTHING!!!!!! let that puppy set for 24 - 48 and then go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Air blow every single ventury, every little screw whole and every metering vein. Scrape what needs to be scraped and make that thing shine. A good rule of thumb is that if you can still smell gas after you dip/clean it, there still work to be done somewhere. Brass should shine and the body should look like aluminum again. Let me know if you need help!

When all this is done, you have effectively taken all the questions out. Don't forget to do a good job on the tank, and you might even need to replace the main line from the pet-**** to the carb. Sometimes people put put rubber hose on equipment that needs fuel approved hose. If that happens, rubber can actually start to decay and provide your carb with a nice bit of garbage.

Good luck Spinner and let us know if you need some help!

Cheers!

Old 08-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, thanks 4 the replies.

Could the float sticking open cause the quad to stall at high-RPM (high vaccuum) and WOT??

When I got back home...I checked my plugs and they were as sooty as coal...nothing was short of DARK black. I hadn't checked my plugs in a while..but they were fine the last time I checked...and have done no changes to jetting since...(I'm thinking it's because of the all the choke that I used)...

I had planned to take off the carb in the next few days to install my A/C pump and my smaller pilot...I had planned to check the needle valve again and do an inspection of everything in there...but I did that last time I had the same problem as today...

Also I forgot to mention the quad had not been used or started in 14 days...(Massive rains and humidity in the past few weeks)...and this all happened at the beginning of the ride.

About the carb dip and cleaning...I wouldn't mind doing that...but I don't like the idea of taking everything on the carb apart...Afraid I might forget where something goes or HOW it goes...and end up being worst off than before... Would I have to take apart every single piece?!? Or just remove the rubber/plastic parts and dip the rest as is... How many plastic/rubber parts are there anyway?? I know of Gaskets and o-rings...Anything else?

Old 08-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Spinner, I know that you can do it. It's not a big deal at all. This is also where you learn the most about your systems. It's not computer controlled nor would you be doing it without help. I just had to completely build 4 Mikunies for my sand rail (before I sold it), and it took more time to get them clean than it did to get them apart and back together. You can have some real build up of lacquer on old carbs.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

The mikuni 45 has a total of 83 total seperate parts!! If I have to take all of that apart...and put it back together I think i'd shoot myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and end the misery..

Old 08-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

THere are less parts in a lectron ... HEHEH.. God luck, you really dont need to strip the carb down. just removed your floats and seat.. then try it..

Old 08-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey tyre... I thought those TM carbs were the best man... I mean with the a/c pump, nothing is better right? LMAO!! Just jokin, but what did I tell ya about a fuel filter...... That chunk of dirt wouldn't have got caught in the needle valve causing the floats to stick= Lots of bitching from owner.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: DS cutting out and stall; Gas pissing from vent tubes..Help!