CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

which paddle tires should i get? i need to choose asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which paddle tires should i get? i need to choose asap

these will be going on my 03 ds 650 BAJA

i have narrowed it down to 4 diferent options

the GBC paddle master (straight paddles)
i can get these in 20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $180.00
PADDLE MASTERS

the GBC Sand devil (8 straight paddles)
20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $150.00
SAND DEVILS

the GBC sand sharks (a V blade paddle)
20x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $160.00
SAND SHARK

Kenda Geckos (small v blades) [ive seen a LOT of ppl using these, but a lot of ppl say they are bad?]
21x11x10 mounted on douglas .190s for $150.00
GECKOS

i want a paddle that will give me good traction, good durability (wont break easily for any parking lot [gravel/asphalt] driving i have to do)
and i dont know how much traction you lose with a v paddle, but it would also be nice to be able to slide/turn well

so what do you guys think i should get?

i have to decide in like 2 days so let me know what your opinions are (and let me know if you have experience with any of these 4 tires)

thanks

Old 08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

i just checked the links, but they dont go directly to the tires! argh.....if you have an interest in the tires design you could just search for them... (sorry about that!)

also...

what rim thickness should i get? i know most duners tend to go for the lightweight .125's....

but im a big guy...on a big quad..... should i go with .190s or .160s? (it would save about 15 bucks, and im not sure what the weight savings would be, but is it worth it?)

Old 08-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

DOUBLE POST*

Old 08-13-2003, 05:47 AM
Pro Rider

None of the above. Might try the new ITP Sand Star in 22x11x10 only only .190 wheels. for more money ut alot better performace the Skat-Trak Edge or Extreme in 22x11x10. Sand Tire Unlimted, Sand Skate, Mini Desert Track or Padla Brat all comp cut.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

well im going for a cheap set up.....

most edges/extremes are like 90-100 EACH TIRE lol

not quite cheap.... (these are prolly ony goin to see use like 3-4 times a year)

Old 08-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i'd say none of those, get a 22" tire. haulers work good on the ds. if you had to get one of the sets you listed probably the sand devil, but if the extra money is only 80 more you will be glad you did. i went geckos and they really aren't worth having.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Bill is right! You won't be happy with any of those. Sand Skate 2's, Skat Trak extreme haulers or edges are worth the extra money IMO.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

These guys are exactly right Roost,

The gecko's are crap for handling and exceleration. Personally, I prefer the Skat-Trak Edges. These are light, and will roost the hell out of your friends. Thats what they are for right!!!!

Dstroyer

Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Well I would agree with the other guys in saying that the DS is well suited for a bigger tire. I just went with the sand skate II's and love them plenty of traction to bring the front up on command and the V design to dune with. They are a true 20" tire where as the skat track tires run quite a bit smaller than the stated size. I think buy far they are the best all around dune tire. I haven't seen the sand stars other than in pictures to compare but they look like they could be a good tire as well.

Anyway if you are looking for a good cheep straight paddle there is the kenda dune runner that is a 22" tire and a 8 paddle for under 40 bucks at rocky mountain atv. I would stay away from the geckos they do not work well on the DS. The GBC paddle masters are very heavy and will kill your power. The other tires are good but they are a little small for the DS.

I would go with a .190 or at least a .160 if you don't jump ay all.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

if you just cant make yourself spend the extra cash to get haulers then i would say of the tires you listed the sand devils would probably perform the best for you.i also have a 2003 baja and it is totally stock and i bought a set of the sand devils for a spare set and they actually work very well for a cheaper tire.as some others have stated the 22"tire will work much better on your baja but the sand devils will get you by.i myself have gone through a lot of tires over the years and when i try to save money on tires i always regret it later because you usually lose performance as compared to the better quality tires but its your money.so have we convinced you to go for it and get the haulers?

Quick Reply: which paddle tires should i get? i need to choose asap