CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

First ride on the DS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride on the DS

So i took my 2000 DS 650 out for the first time this weekend and what a pain in the rear.

First of all when we get up north we go for a little 10 minute ride and the friggin red light starts coming on. So I thought maybe it was because we were just putting around that it wasn't getting good air flow. So the next day we go for another ride and everytime i slow down the damn light comes on. I looked at some previous posts and the only thing i found was something about and oil switch. Could this be the problem? The fan still works too.

Secondly the ride of the 4 wheeler is all over the place. It's like riding a big bowl of jello on wheels. The faster you go the more is want's to wiggle around. I don't know if I'm to light for it or what but it just want's to wander all over the place. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to hook up very well with the stock tires on it. Do you think some new skins would help out?

And Finally i don't know if they are all like this or not but when you lef of the gas it seems like it engine brakes pretty hard. The nose dives right down when you let off the kitchen. I just thought i would ask if that was their nature.

I hope no one thinks I'm dissing the DS. I was so excited to take it out for the first time it was just tough to take when it wouldn't cooperate with me. Plus it's almost worth owning one just to see the people stare at it when it's on the trailer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Does the red light STAY on when you slow down...is it on when u idle??

If it comes on at low RPMs...and then turns off as you rev it back up...that means you have low oil pressure...Either you have a clogged oil tank screen filter...there's a problem with your oil pump...or your oil switch kicks off at a too high pressure..

Next time the red light comes on when slowing down...come to a stop...put in on neutral or pull in the clutch...If the light is on at idle...Give 'er a good rev and see if the light goes out... I doubt that it's a heat problem....dunno.

The stock tires SUCK MAJOR *** on the 2000's and 2001's...Definetly get new tires like Holeshots or something similiar...

The DS is known for SOME (not a lot) of wandering at speeds over 60+ mph (aka Twitchy steering, only on 2000 and 2001 models).

Hope that helps

Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

did you check your oil level,that could be it...

Old 08-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes the light goes off when you rev it up. I thought maybe it was heating up because when we would stop for breaks the fan would stay running.

where is the screen in the oil tank? I take it if the oil pump is bad that means taking the entire thing apart?

Old 08-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

oil level was good. It was just coming off a fresh oil change too.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well I think if the oil pump was bad...You wouldn't have ANY pressure at all... I would check the tank screen first...

Note : You will need to drain your oil in order to get to it...So an oil change is required I guess....

At the bottom of your oil tank (Behind and under the headlight)...there is a hose on the right (when facing the DS) and a drain plug on the left....The oil screen is on the right...You need to remove the hose first....then use a Deep Socket (I forget which size, damn) and a powerbar to take off the remaining nut...(Use a quick jolt of force, it will be tight)...The oil screen will come out with the nut...

This COULD be your problem...but I think your filter will probably clean...like mine was...You'll kick yourself in the **** later if you don't check...so might aswell....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you think if the engine oil filter is bad that could cause the problem? What about the oil pressure switch? Should i replace that too?

Old 08-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

The filter being clogged stops the oil from flowing properly and can cause oil starvation....

The oil pressure switch could easily be the problem...but I've never heard of the switch tripping off for a higher pressure than it's designed for....I've only heard of it either going out completely and having the red light always on...or going out having the red light always off...

Can someone help me out here? I'm out of options..lol

Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There was a recall on the early 2000 models for bad oil pressure switches. the part number has changed.

you should check that oil tank screen now and periodically.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:20 PM
sam
Pro Rider

as noted the stock tires a junk I put tires of a 400ex on, (same a baja model) huge differance. Night & day
since you change the oil recently, did the light start comming on after that ? The system may need to be bled.
check this link out if you,ve never done. it ,B4 oil change link
ive neever had to bleed mine ever, but you might need 2.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: First ride on the DS