CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Baja X shocks saved me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 10:38 AM
cop
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja X shocks saved me!

Yesterday my friend and I were riding Hard and fast in an area that I know well. I was leading and was going at least 60 when I came to an area that had a seven foot deep ravine that is about 30 feet across. I misjudged where we were because we entered the trail from a different point than usual. At the last second I saw the Ravine, hit the rear brakes and proceeded to downshift rapidly, alternating between the brake and the engine braking. I slowed down to about 25-30 (feels like 90 when you are soiling your shorts), I went down the ravine expecting to slam into the bottom and tumble the quad. What happend was totally God's doing. I transfered my weight rearward as to land rear tires first and to keep the front end from nosediving. I landed right in the middle of the bottom and rocketed off of the far side getting about six feet of air according to my friend. I somehow landed safely and stopped on the other side to catch my composure. If it weren't for the high pressure shocks on my X, which didn't bottom out, I would have wiped out and probabally wrecked my back in the process. I weigh 255lbs and am 6'4" and the DS's size and shocks saved me. Now I really do love this quad!!!! The lesson learned? Everbody be careful out there riding, even though we have riden trails 1000 times mistakes are made and sometimes unexpected items or deer are in the trail. Peace!!

Old 08-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Alright! Glad to here eerything was cool, but I know that feeling!!! our body goes HOT,and the adrenaline is at its PEAK!

I can relate, heir has been numberous times when I get "too" comfortable going fast,and sure enough a un expected drop off or JUMP pops up, and the DS suspension saves me![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Bigger.

Old 08-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Simple green does wonders for stained seat covers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had my 2001 DS do me a favor and saved my butt big time once as well. I was following Bombastic at Dumont and we both launched off of a 12' dune and landed hard. We were both stopped in our tracks, however we both faired pretty well through the event. I busted my headlight (Which is being held together by Duct tape! - no joke!) and unfortunately Bombastic hit his clutch lever when he landed and jammed his machine into 3rd gear for the rest of the trip.

It's times like that which make a person really happy to have purchased a big heavy super duper durable Bombardier DS650.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

well i know if i was on any other quad wen i cleared the one gas well i was jumpin here i woulda been in the hospital definetly, but luckily i only tore the muscle in my knee, bent a footpeg,bit like half my upper lip off and broke a plastic piece on my helmet