CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

rejetting myself...having trouble...need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rejetting myself...having trouble...need help!!

i was really close to taking it to my local shop and paying them 55 to have it done (i already have a dynojet kit)

i started to do it myself (took the float bowl top off)

and i think i can do that part...but can someone either give me a step by step on how to get to the main jet and put all this stuff back together?

that or are there good diagrams on this? or pictures...anything?

(i would really like to do this myself and be able to "play" this weekend)

any help is appreciated

Old 08-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to use the DJ needle its accessable through to top of the carb (u already have that off you said). To get to the main jet you need to take off the bottom of the carb. Its alot easier to change it the first time by taking out the entire carb. The four philips head screws are a pain to get out. Once you have the bottom of the carb off the main jet is right there in the middle, you can use the diagram supplied to see which one it is.

RoughRider01

Old 08-28-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Let me see... it's soo fresh in my head. Let's try this step by step;

1- remove the carb (it's just easier that way)
2- remove the float bowl on the bottom, four phillips screws. (may need help with small vise grips to break them loose first)
3- remove the brass circular collar and jet that is below it. NOT THE EXPOSED JET! (this was my mistake!) Removing the collar from the jet and replacing it with a new one. Replace the collar and jet as required.
4- replace the float bowl
5- remove the two larger philips screws on the top diaphram cap (goldish in color) on top of the carb.
6- slowly and gingerly remove the black diaphram under the cap. The slide and all should come with it.
7- look down inside the diaphram... there should be a tab (grey in color), pull it up and out. What comes out with it is a spring, don't lose it. (The assembly is only held in by an o-ring, it should slide out nicely)
8- the needle should come out if you turn the diaphram over. There's also a gold washer on top of the needle, don't lose it.
9- Once the needle is out, there's a small white bushing on the needle. Replace as necessary with the Dyno needle.
10- replace the carb once your complete.... and test her out!!!!

Hope that helps.

Old 08-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh boy, Houston we may have a problem.
Johnny, this may just be a misunderstanding, but maybe not...

When you remove the bowl off the bottom, there are THREE jets in there in plain site.

The MAIN JET is the one in the center, that sticks down the lowest, up inside a brass sleeve. There is another jet that looks just like a main jet, in front of this brass sleeve, but this is not the main jet. The main jet is up inside that sleeve, and when you unscrew it, the sleeve comes off with it. insert new main jet in the sleeve and re-install them together. What they screw into in the NEEDLE JET, which is the long tunnel the NEEDLE moves up and down inside of. When you unscrew the main jet, it may actaully accidentally start unscrewing the needle jet, so hold it with a small wrench if this happens (I think 7mm, can't remember). be extremely careful not to disturb float adjustment, do not bump or bend any of the float linkage to the valve that shuts off fuel flow to the bowl.

That jet in front of the main jet/sleeve is a 40 (may be slightly different depending on altitude) from the factory - changing it from a 40 to a bigass 180 or 190 will cause you some grief! This jet is one of two pilots, why this carb has two pilots I do not know, only style of carb I've dealt with that does. The other true pilot is a longer narrower jet, which is visible too, and is obviously different in design.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Uhhh OOhhhh....

Houston, we have lost sight.
We do have a major problem....
I can't hold her.... She's breaking up... she's breaking up!

SH*T!!!!!
I've been talking about the WRONG friggin jet!!!!
ALL THIS TIME, ALL THIS WORK, ALL THESE POSTS..... and I pulled the wrong one!!!
Ya know... my head is so buried in the sand right now... I don't know what happened.

OKAY...
Now that I know this... and ya know I did remove the one your talking about as I thought "Hmmm, I may be looking at the wrong... naaaaa, I've got the right one" as I screwed that one back in.

MAAAAAAANNNNNnnnnnn.... I can't believe it!

Mr. TOWER..... THANK YOU for opening these eyes! Bless you! Or is it... you've been blessed! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Heck... I don't care... YOU DA MAN!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

The jet in front of the mainjet towards the motor is the starter jet.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the starter jet oldmanracing refers to I raised to a 45 on mine from the stock 40, which really helped cold weather starts in the winter!
thanks oldman, I've been at a loss for what to call that one, now I know!

Old 08-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

In place of the choke the enrichment system is employed for Mikuni carburetors. Fuel and air for starting the engine are metered by entirely independent jets. the fuel metered by the starter jet is mixed with air and is broken into tiny particles in the emulsion tube. The mixture then flows into the plunger area, mixes again with air coming from the air intake port for starting and is delivered to the engine in the optimum air-fuel ratio through the fuel discharge passage.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm... that's not what I'm thinking...

From the motor;

outside the carb - mixture screw
inside the bowl
first jet- #40 (long tail on it)
another jet, next to first - 185 stamped (shorty) "What jet is this"???
brass colar and main jet - 165 or 185 (it's hard to read. But it's a Mikuni)

That's what I've got....
Now tell me which is which....!?!?!

Old 08-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

OK...OK...

I can't type fast enough here.....
I found it all on a CD I ordered... a BOMB Manual CD.

The Main stock is a 165
(mine is a 165 still!!!)

The Pilot - it's a jet with a long tail, stock is a #40
(mine is now a #45)

"Starter" jet is a 32.5 or a 45.0 stock
(mine was a 185!!!!)
I bet any money the dealer changed my wrong jet!!!! That's why my quad doesn't run right!!!!

I need to post a word doc that has a blown up picture of the carb...
and I also have a parts list of that blow up picture....

Try looking on my profile page... (I don't even know how to look yet...) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I set three .jpgs and they're the shots that will explain it all !!!

I'll be standing at the dealers door tomorrow am!!!
Needing the stock and correct jets!!!

Quick Reply: rejetting myself...having trouble...need help!!