CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why is my motor running really rich?.... I'm lost here..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my motor running really rich?.... I'm lost here..

Pushin....If your rich, then you need to either get more air or less fuel.

For idle you can adjust the air correction.....
Everything else sounds good, so try another gas station for fuel (rust colon on plug) and maybe try an open pipe to see if it's still rich. If it is then try a 150 or 155 main.

Only try 1 change at a time on the carb. The tuning manual starts the tuning with the idle circuit, then mid (needle taper) and then main jet.

It's not the float unless there is fuel leaking out the vent or it stumbles and runs out of fuel on the top end.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

PUSHINTHELIMIT

You cannot just stretch a spring back. There's a little factor called "spring rate". By cutting the spring you made the spring shorter, but maintatined the same spring rate. Allowing the vacuum slide to open easier.

By stretching the spring, you lengthed the spring, but you also increased the spring rate. This increased spring rate gives more resistance against the vacuum slide. Making the slide harder to open. By stretching the cut spring, I estimate that the slide is harder to open than stock. This in turn would cause your overly rich condition.

Basically you ruined the spring. Replace it.

Prior to future dynamic modifications (trying to change physical properties of items), I suggest researching and applying some physics to ensure that the mod will actually perform the way others say it will.

My 2 cents,

Glenn

Old 09-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Gaskett is correct....I missed the part about the spring, I guess I should read the whole message. You may be able to get a spring from RWR or the local HOG shop. Make sure it's a direct replacement or it will cause problems.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

As KMDuner mentioned we performed some rejetting on his wifes bike this weekend. After dropping the main jet two steps and readjusting the air mixture his quad ran quite abit stronger but still seemed to load up coming down the dune and didnt run smooth at a steady speed on the flats. KMD mentioned that he had a stock spring so we decided to put it back in since he thought the quads disposition had changed (for the worse) ever since making that mod. I performed the same mod on my daughters '03 and admittedly enjoyed the throttle response that the cut spring allows....

Old 09-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

By the way.. I have the cut spring mod done to my DS, but I only removed 1 1/2 coils.

Good luck,
Glenn

Old 09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

oh.....ok...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] The spring isn't my problem if it runs rich at WOT... Think about it, the slide is gonna be open all the way either way and I only stretched it back a little bit witch would have helped not make it worse. I taped up my lid and I'm not sure if it helped much but my plugs are a bit lighter. Everyone here has a different answer but the only thing I can do I guess is find a smaller main and get a new carb spring which I don't think the spring will help much if any..... I just find it very odd that I need such a small main compared to everyone else.. But the main wont affect my mid range will it? I will lower the needle the rest of the way and see if it helps..

Old 09-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Range Rover

You understood it all wrong. A stretched spring makes it worse, not better. The slide will NOT open all the way (re-read my post). You increased the spring rate (made the spring stiffer than stock). Slide doesn't open all the way... engine runs rich.

I deal with physics all day (from air flow, pressure imbalances in tubing, flow dynamics & charactersistics) believe what you want, but your cut - then stretched out spring is causing the majority of your problems.

Good luck with finding your problems, I just hope you don't waste too much money on things that aren't the problem. Then end up fixing the problem with a band-aid... re-jetting.. hiding the original problem... then burning up the engine

Old 09-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

The gasket guy is on track...I'd go back to a stock spring and work from there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

k cool, I'll order a new spring and go from there.... Then I can rejet correctly. Thanks Gasket and everyone else bunches.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]