CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The anoying "click"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The anoying "click"

I have had my Bombardier Outlander 400 4X4 for about 1-1/2 months. It has been back to fix that anoying click problem found in the rear torsion system about five times now. They have performed all updates and even replaced the levers and washers the last time in. Well, after about 1-1/2 hours of trail ridding (there were some whooptie-do's but nothing to major) the click is back and louder than ever. I have the dealership working with Bombardier technical (again), but I don't know if the problem can be fixed on this machine?? The machine currently has 14 hours on it and the ongoing problem has been there since the first 1/2 hour of ridding.

Any advice? Should I insist on a new machine?

Old 09-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

You might send Fourlix, here on the forums a private message and ask him. I think he might be able to help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

We've been able to fix the "click". Bombardier has a service bulletin out and that has been working for us.
They grind the zinc off the washers, and retorque to a lower ft/lb. It is the newer machines that have this problem. The problem started appearing with this latest batch, shipped in the last 6 weeks. Bombardier was scrambling to find the problem. It happened to a lot of machines. It's a weird, subtle little quirk, and the fix has worked for us.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply. My Outlander is not responding to the update "fix" of the problem. Currently, Bombardier technical is working with their engineers, and my dealers service department to figure out why. Bombardier has sent new levers and washers, which were installed just before the labor day weekend. This was thought to be the ultimate solution. Well, as I stated in my first message, it didn't work. The technical dept and engineers at Bombardier are totally stumped. They say that this is the only machine that they are aware of where the update did not totally take care of the problem.

I love the ride and power of this machine. I truly hope they can fix to problem or supply me with a replacement machine that will not have the cronic click that this one has. I agree with everyone that the Outlander 400 4X4 is the best ridding sport utility machine on the market, bar none. That is why I truly want things to work out so I can totally join on the band wagon.

I'll keep you all informed on what transpires. Maybe there will be some good information that comes from this for all of the Bombardier dealers out there.

More to come....

Old 09-07-2003, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

We have an Outlander with a clutch noise that we can't fix. It runs fine, but sounds like a popcorn machine. We have swapped out clutches, and driven it without the cover to try and figure it out. We can see the clutch jump over, making more of a "whack" than a click. It is rather frightening to ride, makes you think it is going to grenade any second. Bombardier thinks maybe a part is missing, like a thrust washer or something. We are tired of taking it apart to no avail,,,,so it sits in back gathering dust, waiting for somebody smarter than we are to fix it.....We already have too much time in it trying to diagnose a problem nobody else seems to know about....It also had the swingarm click and a bad thermo sensor for the fan...when it rains it pours.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

The click on my outlander 400 started at 14 hours, I read on this site earlier that the dealer greased the splines and that took care of it so I took the boots off, removed the bar and greased it up.
This solved the problem for about an hour.

Now I will take it back to my dealer to try to fix the problem. quiete reluctantly though. Last time I took it there they had it for over a month.

Tom

Old 09-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Vista Boy,

I should know more today (9-8) about what my dealer and Bombardier have come up with. I'll report back as soon as I know. I will get their new solution in great detail so I can share it with the "masses".

Old 09-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay-Here is the latest. I brought the machine back in today. Upon a quick inspection they found that one side of the torsion/swing arm system is binding up. The other side is moving free like it should. The sound is actually coming from the side that is moving free. They are going to tear it completely down on 9-10 and report to Bombardier what they find. The technical department at Bombardier says that this is the only machine that they know of where the update (new washers and removing the plating) has not solved the problem? More to come....again....

Ps- A senior customer service rep at Bombardier contacted me, through my initiation of contact, and offered me $250.00 off of a replacement machine. I thought it was kind of odd that they automatically thought I wanted a replacement machine? I would be happy with getting this one totally fixed and getting a free plow package for my troubles (now around 20 hours of my own time).

Oh yeah....more to come...

Old 09-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update!

My dealership, working with Bombardier technical, decided that they needed to replace the complete left swing arm assembly. Apparently there is something defective in that area of this machine. I have not gotten all of the details yet. I should be picking the machine up in the next day or so. I'll reply back with a report when I talk to them face to face.

I do want to reiterate that the "click" in the swing arm area that my machine was making was very loud. Bombardier technical swears up and down that their update has fixed the problem on all of the other units that have had the updated completed. My machine was the "queer" one. Go Figure

Old 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well ultralog, you're not the only on that got stuck with a bad one. I just took my 1 and 1/2 month old 04 outlander in to the dealer for the 4th time for the noise. None of the service bullitens worked. I'm completely frustrated and I don't know what to do. Is there a customer service number that I can contact someone at Bombardier? I've had the thing a little over a month and the things been in the shop for 75% of the time. The dealer is acting ignorant and they don't want to work with me so I'm looking for other options. Any info/help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: The anoying "click"