CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anatomy of an Internet scam!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anatomy of an Internet scam!!!!

don't worry pushin it is meant to seem fair until there check doesn't clear and you have sent the 3000 plus dollars to a thief, plus he has your pipe and then you are out of a pipe and are left with a bill for all that money you sent back. big thanks to tony on this one. plus someone once told me if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

The way these scams work push'in is you get a check from some one who owe's him (its normaly conterfited though)which means its off a good acct. So most often the money is posted to your acct. and you send them thier portion then when the bank realizes the check is counterfit they debit your acct for the bad check and you take it in the shorts!!And the scam artist is nowhere to be found!! yes the bank gives it too you too!!! and to top it all off he has your pipe and 3000 plus dollars !!! life is not fair[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Pushin- I doubt he actually would send someone to pick up the pipe, as you can see in the e-mail exchange he really has little to no interest in the pipe or any other product that someone is selling, it's about scaming the persons bank account. He sends a check, it my be stolen, forged ,from a closed account or whatever when I deposit the check it will immediately show up as a positive balance in my account and I'll think " O it musta been a good check, see it showed up on the positive side of my account" then I WIRE the funds( these are guarenteed funds now) and the balance leaves my account. Well 7-10 days later after the check has been processed thru the federal reserve system ands has been found to be bogus - my account would get hit for the amount I thought had been deposited, at that point you want to stragle the nearest person and kick your self in the **** for getting taken.
Just let people know these things are out there and avoid them at all cost- damn thieves!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Here's another one.

You put something up for sale on EBAY. A guy (example) by the name of 'dudex@***.net' wins the auction. He send you payment via paypal which automatically confirms his address and funds. You get the money. The shipping address from PayPal is ...

Dude X
34501 E. Marko St.
Mesa, AZ 85213

Then, a guy by the name of 'dudex' sends you an email (email address is 'dudex@fas-cocoders.com' and the email says ....

" Hi Mark,
You should have the money from pay pal it cleared today. Please ship to me the pipe ASAP. Ship to Dude X at 1500 E. 1st Street. Chandler, AZ 85213

Thanks,

Dude"

Does anybody see the problem here?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for explaining... I understand now, thanks. Those people should be shot!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Majorecho
Pushin- I doubt he actually would send someone to pick up the pipe, as you can see in the e-mail exchange he really has little to no interest in the pipe or any other product that someone is selling, it's about scaming the persons bank account. He sends a check, it my be stolen, forged ,from a closed account or whatever when I deposit the check it will immediately show up as a positive balance in my account and I'll think " O it musta been a good check, see it showed up on the positive side of my account" then I WIRE the funds( these are guarenteed funds now) and the balance leaves my account. Well 7-10 days later after the check has been processed thru the federal reserve system ands has been found to be bogus - my account would get hit for the amount I thought had been deposited, at that point you want to stragle the nearest person and kick your self in the **** for getting taken.
Just let people know these things are out there and avoid them at all cost- damn thieves!

What worse is that international checks (personal or cashiers) can take up to 2-3 weeks to clear.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ironrod
Here's another one.

You put something up for sale on EBAY. A guy (example) by the name of 'dudex@***.net' wins the auction. He send you payment via paypal which automatically confirms his address and funds. You get the money. The shipping address from PayPal is ...

Dude X
34501 E. Marko St.
Mesa, AZ 85213

Then, a guy by the name of 'dudex' sends you an email (email address is 'dudex@fas-cocoders.com' and the email says ....

" Hi Mark,
You should have the money from pay pal it cleared today. Please ship to me the pipe ASAP. Ship to Dude X at 1500 E. 1st Street. Chandler, AZ 85213

Thanks,

Dude"

Does anybody see the problem here?
Always send to the confirmed address from paypal.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if there is some way to get them. Tell them I will send them the pipe, but I have a client in ____ (enter their country here)______ and he owes me some money. So I will have him give you the money and then you can wire transfer the funds to my account plus the money for the pipe. Then after the wire transfer goes through I will send the pipe.

You might ask them if they have the ability to wire transfer why dont they just wire the money to western union for me and then I will ship the pipe.

I hate scammers

Old 09-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Isn't paypal souposed to protect you????????? when i use pay pal it's not alway's shipped to the address they have ??????? some times it gose to my shop or my toy shop !!! if it is cleared threw paypal then Alls okiedokie RIGHT??????? Fill me in here guy's??

Old 09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Batoutahell is correct! Anybody can get the alias (or first part of the email name) from ebay off the auction win. That guy says to send it to him instead, and the original guy gets nothing. He files a non-shipment credit, I get the chargeback and I get screwed!

If its not a confirmed address , you are not protected. In my opinion if you know them, then you can make that choice. But when the email addresses don't match, thats another red flag! More than likey not even the same person.

Marky

Quick Reply: Anatomy of an Internet scam!!!!