CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

opinion on tm42 and mbrp race

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on tm42 and mbrp race

i am thinking of going to a tm42 carb and mbrp race exhaust. any opinions on this set up? i am rideing mostly trails and need a lot of power down low. do so drag racing but much more trail riding.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

also i am loking for a stock air box and lid with no holes in it , and a stock set of foot pegs if any one has one let me know

Old 09-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

For low-end I think you'd be better off with a Lectron carb (Yep, I said it).. The TM carbs suck on the bottom without the Accelerator pump... And they are difficult to tune just right, and the pump is greatly affected by altitude changes...

The TM is a top performer in the 1/4-WOT applications and for drag racing...

For trails I'd get a Lectron.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Well also to consider since you say you mainly trailride is Foresty approval mbrp dose not have it yet !!! one of my riding buddies got a 240 dollar fine on the old log trail in flagstaff for no forestry stamp on his mbrp full race with spark arrestted unit. i laughed i cryed ill never let him hear the end of that one!!

PS Also if your alba is still in good condition i would be intrested in that !!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

So is that what happened to all the trees in AZ? I was wondering where they went.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll give a vote on the mikuni with a pumper - but if you don't want a pumper then don't get the mikuni. the mikuni without pump will only disapoint you, but the mikuni with a pump will put smiles on your face[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].
get the smallest pump nozzle made - #50, and it'll be good for everywhere, varified by a couple other guys I've talked to that ride 5K daily with them.

lots of guys have been liking the new lectrons lately too - and there's a couple guys on here that'll set them up for you too for a small fee. but that could cause a few difficulties when you go up 5 thousand feet on a dunes or mountain trip out west some time, so bear that in mind. its seconds to swap a main jet for altitude change, but I'd guess a bit more invlvoed to lean out a lectron - but get some advice on that from the lectron guys.
They're both good carbs.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i don't seem to have the problem with the elevation with the 45, i rode with a few guys on here at sand mountain and i think that is 4000+ ft. some said 5000. anyways i run sea level and i went down one jet size. so maybe it isn't all the carb. i think i ran good with them so try tuning different. talk to the snowmoblie guys they change elevation a lot and seem really tuned in on the carb.

Trending Topics

Old 09-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

so if i ran the 42 with the pump activated i should be in good shape? i am about 800 ft, any recomendations on jetting. what about throttle stiffness, i know it was a problem but is there ways around it? what lectron should i be comparing the 42 to.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

what about a 40mm quicksilver. would that work. i have heard that the quicksilvers are better carbs than the lectrons

Old 09-14-2003, 03:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A quicksilver would be a good option, however they aren't making any for the DS650. Bill DS650 has the only one in existance and loves it. I think you'll want to look at three carburetors: TM42, TM45 and Lectron 46HV. Without going to a dual carburetor setup, those are about it. I'm presonally leaning towards the Lectron 46HV if everything sounds good on how to tune the carburetor. I've heard tons and tons of talk about the TM45 (just a small amount on the TM42) and it is definately an excellent choice. The Lectron 46HV is a newcomer to the DS gang here on the forums I'd love to see someone try both carburetors on the same machine & see what happens - ensuring that they are both properly tuned, of course.

Quick Reply: opinion on tm42 and mbrp race