CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander doesn't start

After sitting for a couple of days my outlander won't start using the electric start. the engine turns over onec then the starter just cranks and clicks without turning over the engine. Has this happened to anyone else?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like you either have a skunk battery or something is draining it. Do you have grip heaters or any other electric accessory that may be causing a drain on the battery. I use a battery tender on all my bikes it cycles the battery and keeps it charged.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had a voltage regulator go in my 04 Outlander after about 25 hrs use which kept the charging system from working, but your problem sounds more like a bad cell in the battery. My Honda GL1800 did the same thing a week off the dealers lot. It went back 3 times before they were able to confirm the battery had a bad cell. It would test OK unless it was under a cranking load. Acted pretty much as you are describing here in that if it sat for two days or more it would half-heartedly try to turn over then do a lot of clicking and whirring. As Canlogic mentioned - a battery tender is a good investment, but it won't fix a bad battery and it's a real pain having to plug in every time you shut the machine off. Have the dealer fix the problem for you.