CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand Rails

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Rails

After talking with Jeff a little I'm leaning toward the LS1, however the cost of them isn't very appeasing. I'm starting to consider the northstar.

The thing with the subie is finding parts in a hurry in Yuma and the fact that I would have to run race gas. I hate running race gas in my bike because it's so pricey. I can't imagine a weekend at the dunes in a new sand car running race gas.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Km, that is my issue also I really dont like the idea of going through 50 gallons of race gas in a couple of days.

The prices on the ls1 seem to be getting closer to the prices of the northstar. I think turnkey engine supply has ls1 packages at about $8000 and the northstars are starting about $7000.

Anyway, I like the idea of the torque of the v8's.

bat

Old 10-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

I'm leaning toward Sandwinder but if they are 6 months out fugetaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Alright I've made my decision about the motor. I'm going with the LS1. Fast, reliable, easy to find parts, and I can pull up to the chevron for gas.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Me too! I have made up my mind also, LS-6 with a Vortec Supercharger![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Originally posted by: KMDuner
Alright guys after this weekend seeing the rails do wheelies down the track the wife decided that she wants more motor. So what's the deal with these Mazda and Subaru engines. How do they compair to the v-8's? What about reliability and the ability to find parts in a crunch. Obviously the v-8's parts will be real easy to find.

There are some very reasonably price resale cars for sale with the smaller motors. What kind of HP are these things putting out?

Give me your opionions. Jeff, Bat, Marbleous, reed, etc.
I have a 4 seat Tatum with a Rotary (turbo, EFI, intercooler). Runs like a two stroke. Lots of power, not much torque. Once you get used to the powerband, it rocks (just ask Jeff). Not very good to take my kids for a low speed putt around the mountain though.

It needs race gas. 355 HP at the wheels.

The biggest issue with a rotary is overheating. It warps the apex seal (kinda like the rotary equivalent of a ring). I have a big oil cooler with a 10" or 11" fan, and it made all the difference in the world. 4 200lb guys hauling *** up the hill at Sand Mountain, and I top out about 200 degrees. :-)

It is also pretty loud. Can't muffle them much. Rotaries can't deal with backpressure.

http://www.crowley-offroad.com/sand_rail_for_sale.htm

Jon

Old 10-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Range Rover
Default Sand Rails

Hey Bat I just had my Tatum out this weekend. Let me tell you guys If you want some serious
power and realiability nothing beats a NORTHSTAR DUAL/TURBO.
I ran the car the whole weekend, with no problems.
Couple of issues I dont like such as 110Octane fuel I have to run and the rear paddles (Blaster 33).
The fuel I have no choice. The paddles in the rear are just not biting enough, theyre spinning in every
gear. I,ll probally will be selling these tires if any of you guys are interested (P.M. me).
Meanwhile any recomendations on what paddles to get????

Old 10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sand Rails

Just couldn't stay with a good old reliable Northstar Huh, Tatoo?! Had to do the Turbo thing! You could have stayed on good old 91 octane and have a reliable motor for a long time. I used to work on Northstars and they don't like all that extra power being pumped thru them for any long periods of time. well have fun and enjoy it while it lasts! Oh, by the way did you take out any more quads lately? Annhilater told me that he is glad he can out run you up the hill, now at least he knows now that he can get away from you when you are in the Vicinity![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Sand Rails

Dear Punisher
I,m enjoying this Northstar while it lasts. Can,t wait till it goes I have knarly LS-6 motor
being built so I,m well prepared fot the inevidable. As far as quads I just picked up a new
BajaX. I have know Idea how it rides , ask AL he used more than everybody else