CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New and Improved DS650 for 2001!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 12:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I have to admit, it appears Yamaha might have gone out and improved upon the DS650 with their new Raptor. What I mean is that just about all of the minor complaints about the 2000 DS650 have been "fixed" in the 2001 Raptor. Cheaper, Reverse gear, lighter weight, improved carburetion/acceleration (dual carbs, not that crappy CV single), not quite as wide so trail riding is not an issue, better steering?, better traction/tires?, better exhaust?, more aftermarket parts sooner? I think Bombardier's DS650 sales are going to fall like a rock if they don't make some changes, and it doesn't appear that they will be since the dealers already have info on the 2001 DS650 - I think there may be new tires. My biggest concern when buying the DS650 has turned into a reality. I wonder if the re-sale value/demand on the 2000 DS650 will fall. Unless I can get my hands on a turbo fairly quickly, I might consider selling the DS, not necessarily to buy a Raptor, but just not to be stuck with a bike that no-one would want anymore, given that they can buy the Raptor or Cannondale. I think the industry should move towards twin cylinder 4-strokes similar to street bikes that put out much more HP for the same cc. And more high tech stuff like fuel injection. It is the year 2000 isn't it!?!?

I do like my DS, but am conscious of it's re-sale value and a little frustrated about aftermarket parts.

Old 06-08-2000, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby i totally agree with you and at this time my ds is up for sale.That Yamaha is exactly what I was looking for before I puchased my ds.Lightweight and reverse is the key features for me.I checked around and trade in value for the ds is around $4,500 Unbelevable!!!!!Last weekend after riding in tight trails I desided I was going to sell it for a 400ex but now its the rapture.I dont think anyone will buy this thing but ill sure as hell try.I put it in some local classafieds for 6300 with the big gun exaust and skid plates,but if anyone out there wants the extras like the exaust or skids make me an offer.Maybe ill just trade it in now and wait for the rapture to be delivered.Who nos but the bomb must go. Tim

Old 06-09-2000, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

Definately a sad day......

Old 06-09-2000, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

What the **** is your guys' problem?!? Raptor may be faster, but this DS 650 makes the Raptor look like a half-*ssed new level. The suspension makes the Raptor's look like cat litter, the ground clearance makes the Raptors look like a missing puzzle peice, and the looks, well, the DS 650 is the meanest mother****** ever made. EVER. Maybe you're too d*mn caught up in the "trendy" crap, but how much do you want for your DS. I was thinking about a new one in the future, but maybe I can catch some of you folks who are being blinded by this "glare"...

Old 06-09-2000, 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ride,
Is every other word a curse word? People will respect your opinion and you more if you talk to the level of the average adult, not some naval shipman...

RoostKing...

Old 06-09-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

OH WOW! Hey Roost, and everyone else, sorry, wow, I looked back at it just now and it's like I went nuts. I don't know, sorry about that, it's just words like that can be art. Pure art, in a sense that you can express your point to such an extent that it will have the reader feeling what you mean. Just think, if I say "what is your guys' problem", you start reading, and it's like any other post, you skip through the words like nothing. Sorry for this, but if I instead say "what the **** is your guys' problem?" It's like you skip through the "what the-" then it hits you-BAMM! And this guy means business WHOA! he is really trying to get you to hear him out. We're in a forest and hear quads riding, all of the sudden one fly's by everyone doing a wheelie in the attack revving up in 4th. This guy means business. Do you hear where I'm coming from? You're getting held up, a guy's got a gun threatening 10 people. Some guyy on a quad BAMMM slams this guy right off the bumper into a glass case and the gun flies over the balcony. SOMEONE MEANS BUSINESS.

Old 06-09-2000, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting read , not sure what your point was.

Old 06-10-2000, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, it's a foggy day, THICK fog that you may later see through, all right? I'm on a quad, I've jumped high enough to see over the fog, this is high people, and the fog no longer effects my vision. I can see clearly now, the fog is gone, but everyone else is still blinded by this THICK FOG.

Old 06-11-2000, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I doubt the DS650 is going to loose very much from the introduction of the Raptor. The best thing I can see is Bombardier will now be 'foreced' to make signifigant improvements each year to stay compeditive... this is what the Industry needs. The motorbikes have that - every single year they change every single model in hopes of gaining market share. I don't want a Yammaha.. but I love the fact it is here. Know why? It means the dealers selling Bombardiers will have to negtiate on the prince with me when I go to buy one. Once we get some serious clas competition, you should EASILY be able to knock 10% off the price of any new machine, and pay no BS fees either.

Old 06-11-2000, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

alan.... sometimes you post like an idiot... lol...

Quick Reply: New and Improved DS650 for 2001!!!