CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Starter O-ring Sadness

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter O-ring Sadness

I could not find a replacement o-ring that seals the starter from an oil leak. Anybody use high heat silicone to aid in the seal? The parts manual does not have a replacement from Bombardier. Go Figure ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Ironrod, If you haven't try NAPA, they've come through on all kinds of oddball stuff for me. Ultracopper is the highest temp silicone that I know of. I used to use that on a crapy set of headers and it held up.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

PM me your e-mail. Your right. . . Bomb is no help. You have to go to BMW for the parts detail on the starter. I have the BMW starter parts page in pdf. I ended up buying a new O-ring and a new front aluminum piece. I am thinking of having my old one double o-ringed to see if the second o-ring will hold back the oil.

I am in the process of building a second engine (this will be a 760. The cases are used and I fear there has been an oil leak there before so, I am going to see what options our builder down here can offer before he assembles the cases (maybe sleeve it?) I plan on using the new aluminum front section of the starter and the new o-ring on the 760.

I feel your pain!

Old 10-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i also feel that pain every time i race banshees if they lose they come up and say your leaking oil. that is my next thing is the gaskets sealer that should fix the problem. i have a extra o-ring, kit if you want to try about 40 different sizes though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i found an O-ring at the local hardware store.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Same problem here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Simple answer for all of you. Gary has them at TVI. Also you use a light coating of Toyota or some Ultra-blue silicone on it and "BAM" your o-ring problems are over![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know I had the same problem and not anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

I found a new O-Ring and it didnt quite fit perfectly, so I added the high heat silicone and I guess we'll see how that works.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThePunisher
Simple answer for all of you. Gary has them at TVI. Also you use a light coating of Toyota or some Ultra-blue silicone on it and "BAM" your o-ring problems are over![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know I had the same problem and not anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
This is going to sound bad but. . . . did you put it in wet?

Or, did you let it dry first? So, you are basically just putting it on the O-ring to make the o-ring larger? Or are you putting it at the base of the starter flange?

Old 10-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've had no problem getting o rings from my dealer.

But new rings have never solved the problem.

I've tried every kind of sealent/silicone also and have not been able to stop it.

I remember when I was the only one on this board that had this problem. Now it's getting common. What is causing this?

Do any of you guys still have a stock engine? Or are they all modded?

Quick Reply: Starter O-ring Sadness