CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Losing patience... Here comes the "for sale" sign..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing patience... Here comes the "for sale" sign..

Ok did you make sure the ground wire that gose on with thye regulator is getting a good ground????
and did you test both outputs on your new regulator??? have you cheked all wire concerned for ohms??? to make sure your not losin it threw the plugs????

Old 10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my 400. It 's not Bomber but a charging system is a charging system. Take a multi meter and check your voltage on the battery terminal. Start the quad and check it again it should drop a little. Have someone slowly rev the quad the voltage should increase as the rpms do. If they don't I would say your problem is in the wiring. Clean all connections and use dieletric grease on them just cleaning them is not enough to keep it from happening again. It takes some time but if you do the connections one at a time and then check the voltage after each you'll know exactly which little SOB was giving problems. Check the wiring under the tank and seat. Any place something might rub on the wiring. It was a connector on mine. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

i had the exact problem about a month after i bought mine. i took mine down to the dealer all pissed off just to find out that my battery charger was to big to get a complete charge on the battery.- he charged it over night with his mini charger and i havnt had a problem in over a year.i didnt believe it either untill about a month after he charged it and i had know problems

Old 10-15-2003, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

No one is answering my questions though... My regulator is new and my battery still goes dead after a while without the lights. There is no power going to my battery and it just slowly goes dead.... faster of course with the lights on. and It wont go dead when it is not running and just sitting.. what to do??...
I gotta say Pushin... -you are funny. I outlined a complete test sequence so that you could test your charging system from the stator to the battery but still you whinned. Now you went and took the thing all apart just to find that your stator was good!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] . Even if you don't own or even know what a multi meter is, my bet is that you know someone who does and it would have taken 3 minutes to find out what it probably took a day to do. Do us all a favor, do a search on this topic, find the sequence that I prepared for you and then find someone who has and can use a meter to check out your charging system so we don't have to hear about it any more...please!!!
After at least attempting to find the problem, if you have questions I will be happy to help.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys. My friend is a Toyota mechanic and he has a fancy snap-on digital multi-meter. I'll have him come over some time this week or I'll take my quad over there to test the circuitry. I could burrow the multi-meter but I don't have the slightlest clue how to use one...

So basicly, all I need to do is put the meter on both battery poles, check the voltage when it's off, and then check it again when the quad is runnning with the High beams on?? The voltage when it's off should be around 12-12.9v and when on it should be around 14-15v ?? Does it matter which RPM..and is it bad if it goes over a certain voltage at higher RPMs??

So this will prove beyond a doubt if the problem is the battery or if it's the system. Correct?

Again, this is a very informative thread (atleast until it turned into Jerry Springer). Appreciated guys.

Jeff

Old 10-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

After writing a very long, cute funny experience and having it get lost during send and not wanting to type it again BUT after having about the same experience it turned out to be the battery. After getting socked 150 by dealer for work and parts (rectifer x 2) to no avail, I stuck a "KGB" in (Known Good Battery) from another toy and voila no prob for 2 years now. Battery passed all test (voltage and Specific gravity) but was still bad. And a new battery was only 24$.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Don't you hate it when you lose your post, especially those nice long ones.
I want to stress this again to you guys having problems to have your batteries checked. I've seen this happen over and over where the battery is just going weak. It can wreak havok with a cars electrical system. My truck would die when I would let off the gas yet would continue to restart. You can get it tested for free and by the way, testing with a multi-meter doesn't cut it, a battery's voltage can come upwhile sitting around and once the quad is running you are reading the voltage produced by the stator. I can't say this is your problem but would'nt it be nice if it was, this would be the cheapest and easiest solution.
If you have an original battery in an early model DS I'm sure it could be close to the end of it's life. Mine went a year ago and alot of people were posting about their batteries then.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I had my battery tested by my local shop... They put a load on it and all that... It checked up fine... But I don't necessarily trust that... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]