CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

ANYBODY GOT A PICTURE OR LIVE NEAR ME THAT KNOWS HOW TO DO IT

Old 10-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

There is a specific height from the float to the bolting surface of the carb. If you do a search you can find that. I took my carb off and just made the float level with the bolting surface of the carb and seemed to work fine. Why do you think they are off?

Old 10-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

with the carb upside down, measure from the bolting surface of the bowl to the bottom of the float. all carbs require a different level, I don't remember the stock carb level - the TM45 float level is 18mm but I run mine at 20mm to reduce the amount of gas that sloshes out of my overflow on rough terrain and it doesn't hinder full throttle fuel delivery at all.

if the float level is too low (measurement too large), you could run the bowl out faster than it can replenish at long full throttle runs, if it is too high (measurement is too small) then it will cause you to run too rich, sometimes way to rich as a result. not to mention more fuel will be poored onto the ground as you ride through rough stuff or whoops out the overflow.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

I TALKED TO BIGGERISBETTER AND HURYCNE AND THEY BOTH TOLD ME TO CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT NOTHIG WAS UNDER THE NEEDLE AND SEAT SO I CHECKED IT AND SURE ENOUGH THERE WERE 2 HUGE PIECES OF GRASS AND IT WAS CAUSING THE SEAT NOT TO SEAL PROPERLY ANDIN THE END RESULT WAS CAUSING MY BOWL TO OVERFLOW AND LEAK OUT THE OVERFLOW TUBE

THANKS
BIGGERISBETTER AND HURYCNE

Old 10-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

HOLY CRAP GOT ON THE DS TODAY AND FUEL WAS DUMPING OUT THE OVERFLOW AGAIN SO I TOOK THE CARB APART TO SEE WHAT ELSE MAYBE DIRTY AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW I CHECKED THE NEEDLE AND SEAT AGAIN AND IT HAD 3 OR 4 PIECES OF GRASS WITH THE SEEDS STILL ATTACHED AND 2 PIECES OF RUBBER THET APPEARED TO BE FROM THE GRASS TANK OOPS I MEAN GAS TANK I CLEANED IT ALL OUT PUT THE CARB BACK ON AND WENT TO THE ROAD LAUNCHED IT IN 1ST AND CARRIED THE WHEELS THROUGH EVERY GEAR WOW!!! I THINK THIS MIGHT MAKE A LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN POWER

Old 10-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

Your going to need to get a LOCKING gas cap, so TATE will stop trying to Sabatage your RIG!! LOL!!

BIgger.

Old 10-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

i THOUGHT I HEARD SOMEONE IN THE GARAGE LAST NIGHT

Old 10-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

how in the world does debris that big get through the screen in the tanks petcock?
anyway, a fuel filter is worth its weight in gold - but get a high flow one for gravity feed with the brass element, not those restricting paper kind for lawnmowers, they can't keep up with demand in the dunes at wot.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

Originally posted by: Hightower
how in the world does debris that big get through the screen in the tanks petcock?anyway, a fuel filter is worth its weight in gold - but get a high flow one for gravity feed with the brass element, not those restricting paper kind for lawnmowers, they can't keep up with demand in the dunes at wot.
WHEN YOU TAKE THE SCREENS OUT AND ENLARGE YOU PETCOCK HOLE

WHERE CAN YOU FIND ONE OF THESE FILTERS

Old 10-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default FLOAT ADJUSTMENT

well since you need that kinda flow I don't know for sure whether or not the filter I have and speak of will flow enough for you, but they are cheap enough it may be worth your while to see....
I got mine from a local auto parts store, but looking in the dennis kirk catalog I see some that look identical to it. they are anodized aluminum, screws apart and has a cleanable brass stone filter shaped like a basket. it doesn't seem to restrict flow at all - if I pull the hose off the carb and turn on the petcock to check flow, then remove filter and check again, it looks the same but I've never timed how long it takes to fill a container to compare.

Quick Reply: FLOAT ADJUSTMENT