CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

To all you newbees out there...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all you newbees out there...

U guys remember me, the clueless kid who hardly knows how to change a sparkplug and had no idea where the Jet was in the Carburetor. Well, I’m back, and with great news. I finally got my jet changed. (Only took me an hour). Thanks to all those people who gave instructions on how to change it. All the new guys that are weary about changing it yourself I say go ahead and give it a shot. It’s not too bad at all.

You all were right on and it was way less painful than I thought it was going to be. The 4 screws in the bottom of the carb were easy to get off and I was able to use them to put back on. I used the same screws because the crappy hardware stores here in Vegas don't have a selection of stainless steel metric anything. Be glad you don't live here.

Anyway, I was wondering if the clutch springs are as hard to change? Is it worth the money to get it right the first time and pay a mechanic across town to replace them?

Thanx to ALL of Ya!!!
Sam.

Old 11-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

if it took you an hour to change the jet(5 minute job), i would suggest you take it to a mechanic to have the clutch springs changed.

Old 11-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Jetsnow600....ease up on the guy! This was his first time and he actually had to take the carb off the quad for the first time! It probably took me an hour also--before I had the carb back on and the quad running correctly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Of course you're right though...jetting now takes 5 or 10 minutes.

wakeboardsam....go for it, buddy! I changed my springs. Pay attention to what your doing, take your time (its not a race!), and don't force anything...and if you get stumped ask for help--as I said before WE LIKE TO HELP!

Old 11-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright i just might take up your advice to change em out... though i am a little tight on time... i've got 3 research papers to write for class in the next 4 weeks so it may be a while before i start that proj. plus the only reason i had time to do the jetting today was cuz i'm bored out of my mind watching tv, not being able to drive b/c of 4 wisdom teeth extraction prety much sux!!!! although the lortab is pretty tight!

peace - sam.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Wakeboardsam,

I was in your shoes at one time, but unlike you i didnt have these forums to fall back on. But now that i am on the forums i still learn more and more everyday! Good job bud! Congrats!

-Randy Hoover #7

Old 11-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the service manual go ahead and change the clutch springs. I just walked in the house from changing mine along with the clutch. It was easy and straight forward. Just take your time and remember the little things like two of the side cover bolts have washers on them, grease the rack for the clutch actuator, and it would be a good idea to have a side cover gasket, because it is cheap insurance should you damage the original. Don't worry there is always someone here to help you out.

Justin

Old 11-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a newbee as well when it comes to wrenching. I'm thankful for all the advice these wonderful people give to me.

Thanks to each and everyone who takes the time to write detailed technical responses to help us newbee mechanics out!

Old 11-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

I agree................... I have asked a few questions because I just recently got my DS.
I have got nothing but excellent help from other members.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

There is a wealth of information on these forums and most of the people here are more than willing to help out. I have even recieved help on my Predator from the Bomb guys (Thanks). The way I look at it we are all addicted to the same drug it just has different flavors (Bombardier, Polaris, Yamaha, Etc.). That is what makes it fun. anyhow congratulations on getting the jetting done and most of the work is not that hard just take your time and remember how things go back together (take or draw pictures if needed). If you can get ahold of a factory service manual it really helps. Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

This forums have helped alot of people out, including myself. I love the forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: To all you newbees out there...