CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil/Temp Light Question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil/Temp Light Question???

On another thread I started, I wrote about a problem which just appeared when I took the DS for the 10 hour service/check.

I pick the machine up, drive home (30 miles) and start it up to take it for a ride. The oil/temp idiot light is still on, not 100%, about 50%. My fault for not taking for a ride around the dealers property. I had my three little girls with me (no wife present) so I was in a hurry.

When I turn the key prior to starting, the light is bright red, when I start the Rotax, the light is about 50% dimmer then full strength. I looked through the manual to see if there's any information regarding the brightness of the light and any meaning?

I'll be taking it back to make sure they get this fixed. I hope it's only a sensor. It appears the dealer changed the original sensor because there's wrench marks where it bolts onto the engine.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oz
Its good to hear that the problem was just a sensor.
I'v heard a few people mantion the same scenario as you have now and I understand that it was caused by a partial grounding of either the oil pressure sensor or temp sensor. This can be caused by water in or around one of the two connections. The temp sensor has a boot around it that can trap moisture under it, this is the most probable cause. Best part is that it will not cause any other problems and if left alone, will probably just go away as the moisture dries up.

Old 11-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: JSsDS
Oz
Its good to hear that the problem was just a sensor.
I'v heard a few people mantion the same scenario as you have now and I understand that it was caused by a partial grounding of either the oil pressure sensor or temp sensor. This can be caused by water in or around one of the two connections. The temp sensor has a boot around it that can trap moisture under it, this is the most probable cause. Best part is that it will not cause any other problems and if left alone, will probably just go away as the moisture dries up.

JSsDS: That's what the dealer told me, the sensor needed to be replaced. Based on your response, are you saying moisture is most likely grounding the connector? Which is why the light is about 50% brightness? It had been moist here in Mid-Michigan the past couple of days. Anyone else have any other comments? I'll probably give the dealer a call in the morning to see what they have to say.