CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I need mod help for my DS650 FAST (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I mod help for my DS650 FAST (HELP)

Hi, I have a DS650 and I was hoping that someone could tell me some mods I could do to my DS650. I need them done before saterday 11/31. I would like it if I didn't have to spend money but I can spend a little. I have a big race saterday and I need to go a little faster because it is on tape and I want to win. And if I ran no air box lid with a uni filter would that help my speed or power in drag racing.
Thanx a lot

Old 11-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default I need mod help for my DS650 FAST (HELP)

Is your DS completely stock?
How far are you racing?
How much do you wiegh?
Does your DS run good now, just wanting alittle more?
What will you be racing agianst?

anwser these questions, then we can proceed.

Bigger.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

taking the lid off will help a little but I don't think its going to be the kind of difference that you are going to feel by itself. Definantly do it if you are drag racing I mean every little bit helps. Do you have a stock pipe? If you have an aftermarket slip on it will compliment your uni filter and the fact that you are not using a lid.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, I would run race gas, like VP C-12 or ultimate four. Once again, you probably won't feel a difference but I'm sure if you measured your times with and without the race gas you would be happy with the results.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

Yes my DS650 is stock
about 250 yards or so
I weigh about 175\
it runs good i want a little more
I am racing a YZF450 jetted with no bafle and no lid

now what
thanks

Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What type of ground are you racing on? Dirt,Sand, gravel, asphault?

Leave the lid on, run 91 octain(race fuel wont help)

You need to jett accordingly to your elevation.
If these are flat drags,on hard-pack dirt you need to gear up,and take off in 2nd gear(pinned) your body position is going to vary depending on the type of traction you have. Basically you want to get to the rear of the quad as fast as possible. Try setting in the middle of the seat, then when you dump the clutch and feel the tires break loose, quickly SLIDE back to the rear. If you start to wheelie more than you want,and feel the need to get out of the throttle DONT!! just quicky reach and POP the clutch. this will stop the rear wheels from turning, bringing your front end down, but will keep the Rpm's up and your momentium loss wont be nearly as bad.

hose 450's are really hard to beat. so you need to keep the lead for the first 100 feet. after that both machines should be pretty close at the end.

Good luck.

Bigger.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

You could also make a modified end cap by either using the stock end cap or buying the parts and puting together one. Alot of people including myself just run a modified endcap and are very happen with the outcome. It really wakens the DS, take a look in my picture page and look at the end of my exhaust to see what im talking about.

RoughRider01

Old 11-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

you could also try cutting your throttle spring 5 coils and ive also heard of drilling the 2 holes out to 1/8th of inch. on the bottem of slide thats in your carb not sure how much is supposed to produce but its said to gaine alittle

Old 11-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

The UNI filter won't help - all the air filters are within 1/2 hp of each other with the No-Toil being the highest and the K/N the lowest. The stock filter is good in 2nd place. Don't remove the lid - it will lose horsepower with the stock vacuum diaphram carb - it is tuned to the air box. Run 89 pump gas - high octane is harder to burn - a requirement for high compression, but not a "horsepower" enchancer. Cutting the diaphram spring is a good idea for quicker rev. The quickest, easiest, cheapest hp per dollar is a billet end cap and jet I got from Mr Horsepower. The next biggest single horsepower improvement for the dollar is a big carb.

Launch in second, be the first one to leave the line, shift quick, and have fun. The 450 is going to be a close race if the guy can ride.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys i made a new end cap and ran the right gas. The race was rained out untill last weekend, we races 4 times and the first one i beat him, 2nd and 3rd h beat me, 4th i beet him. It was very tigh everytime the only way i bet him is if he came up on a little wheelie, but the first race i bet him fair and square

Quick Reply: I need mod help for my DS650 FAST (HELP)