CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Finally got a DS 650! Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got a DS 650! Lots of questions

After several months of checking e-bay (and losing out on auctions in the last two minutes and worrying about scams), and checking the classifieds religiously, I finally decided to just buy a new DS. I sold my 99 400ex for $3,950. I took that cash down to my local dealership and got a brand new 03 Viper Red DS for $5,400 out the door (they waived the freight and set-up so it came out to $4,900 + sales tax and license fees). The sales guys were making a big production about how good a deal I got (ie. they were taking a loss on it, I "stole" it, etc etc etc.), but I don't take stuff like that real seriously. I was pretty happy, however, to go from a 99 400ex to a brand new DS for $1,450 out of pocket. My wife, on the other hand, was not nearly as happy.

I only got a chance to ride it up and down my street a few times, and my first impression is that it is MUCH, MUCH faster than the 400ex I was used to. It was honestly a little bit intimidating. It is also heavy, VERY heavy, and harder to load into the back of a pick-up (no ramp) even with two people. Are you guys able to load it into the back of a truck without ramps by yourself? If there is a trick to it, I would sure like to know what it is.

A couple buddies and I are planning a trip to Pismo in December and Glamis in January (first time ever going to Glamis), so I will be needing to get some paddles (my Sand Sharks went with the 400ex). What do you guys recommend for just general dune riding (I am not real big on hill shooting)? Are the 22 inch tires worth the extra cost if the bike will be all stock, including gearing? I also want to switch to a K&N air filter and outerwears, but will probably leave the lid on. With that set-up, will I need to worry about re-jetting? Also, the owner's manual is sort of vague regarding proper break in of the motor. How did you guys ride your bikes during the first 5-10 hours? Any input that the experts on this forum could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

I bought haulers, 22-11-10, extremes with my 04. Work great

Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

I dont know if I would consider myslef an expert on the DS (just got mine a few months ago) but I'll offer my opinion.
Congrats on your purchase. I have owned just about every quad on the market! all I can say is I think you will be very happy with the DS over the 400ex. It is heavier................ oh god heavier!!!!! I would seriously consider a ramp. I dont know if 1 person could do it?
Paddles for the dunes............ for hill climbing, hands down the straight paddle is the way to go.
I personally go to Glamis just to ride, not shoot the hills all day. I enjoy the V-Paddle designs myself. The DS is so darn heavy, it makes it much easier to turn and power slide with V-Paddles. I had the Geckos for a while, very nice tire and very tough.
I have recently switched to the ITP Sand Star. Personally I like this tire is even better. It hooks up on the straights more than the Gecko, but turns easily. Its a softer compound so it might not be as durable but I dont have enough information to confirm that yet. I can tell you this, you dont want to be behind it when on the gas. The amount of sand that will roost behind the tire is excessive! It throws sand everywhere.... hehehehe I kinda like it.
You need to look at a 22" tire. The weight and power of the DS is to much for a 20". I ran 20's the first time to Glamis because my new tires hadn't arrived yet. I felt they were to small. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.
I dont know if just an air filter change will effect jetting. I have done it on previous bikes with minimal problems. Im getting ready to start modding the DS soon.
We go to Glamis at least 1X a month. Maybe Ill see ya out in the dunes sometime!
Good Luck with your DS. I hope you enjoy it as much as I / we do.

Later

Old 12-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

I have done the break-in procedure on about ten DS's and have found that the harder you run them the better. Of course give it time to warm up before you run it hard.

Definately leave the lid on for best power with the stock vacuum slide carb.
Air filter change will not require jetting change.

MrHorsepower

Old 12-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

22" haulers are recommended. You will end up sinking and getting stuck with the 20" tires too easily. (I have a set of 20" in my garage collecting dust!)

As for modifications. . . don't buy anything new without asking here first. I have a complete K&N / Dynojet kit sitting in my garage collecting dust.

After you are done with that, there are pipes, CDI's etc. that others have in their garages. I even have a 102mm bore cylinder and high compression piston for it in my garage collecting dust (stock bore is 100mm.)

After break-in check your valve clearances.

Oh, and everything on your quad has Bomb Loctite on it. The carb bowl screws are a 8itch to get out. Take the carb off the bike and get an impact driver. Once they are out get cap head allens as replacements (Orchard Hardware).

Get a one tooth smaller counter sprocket and good idea to get a 42 tooth rear sprocket. You can keep your stock chain with this set-up and it will help you pull 3rd on many of the hills.

Pipe - that is another topic. . . too many thoughts on this one.

CDI you will want as soon as you get a pipe.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget trying to load this machine onto a truck or trailer yourself. I thought I may have had a cerebral hemorrhage when I lifted it 2.5 feet to my trailer myself. Ramps have been used since I almost passed out when loading that monster onto my trailer for the first time.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

congrats, definetly spend more $$ on extremes 22x11x10, there is so many bolt ons you can get, but for the most part they are good enough , untill you get use to them, then you will want more power, invest on a set of oxlite aluminum ramps, saves your back and tailgate.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also loaded my DS in the back of the truck (4X4) by myself for well over 2 years. But I think that means that I am not as bright as I should be[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Get you some Ramps!

The BEST tires out thier for DUNING is the 22" skat-trac EDGE tires(V-blade). The Haulers work alittle better for up hill drags but aren't near as fun in the dunes.

DO a search on stock carb modifications and modified end cap, and you'll be very pleased with your stock DS!

Bigger.

Old 12-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I would strongly suggest getting some smooth fronts for the sand, GBC Dunetrackers 22x8x10 they are cheap and work great. The front of the DS will want to nose dive in soft steep sand, like that of Glamis, and you will be frustrated with the stockers. 22's in the rear are best, but not necessary. I run 20" sand sharks, and have never been stuck as another suggested. On your carb if you cannot get the screws out the bottom, use a small set of vice grips, works great.