CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Turbo or superchager?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DunePilot858, Please stop in at Alba and check out the DS650 supercharger this weekend and let us know what you think.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2000, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Check yesterday with Alba they have got the super charger but did not get to work with it much last week.

Old 09-24-2000, 01:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have plans to take my supercharged DS650 to Little Sahara in October and again in November. It is just about riding season for me now. Hope Alba doesn't keep dragging their feet for much longer or they might lose my business.

Old 09-24-2000, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Let me know what you think of their supercharger, I might buy one if they turn out OK. By the way what happened to your Wood stage I kit.

Old 09-25-2000, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Alba is working on the final touches on the supercharger. They have 25+ list of people who want the kit. It is at the store but they are keeping quite they have to work out LB of boost, jetting and a hole bunch of other thing.

Old 09-27-2000, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

I was in Alba today... they haven't had time to dyno the thing because of all the bikes in there needing tuning.

Old 09-28-2000, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The muffler packing burned up twice on me after a couple weekends of riding. Sent it back once and had it re-packed. 2 weeks later the muffler needed re-packing again and the header pipe coating started to flake off, and there were cracks/holes in the header pipe as well. Sent the muffler & header back, waited over a month for it and finally received a call from wood saying to return the entire kit for a refund.

Returned the DS to stock form and the DS ran great for the first time in months. But, soon after engine problems showed up. Coolant was low. Topped it off and found no leaks. Next weekend coolant low again. Flushed coolant system and re-filled. Next weekend coolant empty, DS running strange, milky oil, milky foam coming out of crankcase breather hose into airbox. In shop for months. New cylinder head, piston, rings, valves, etc under warranty. Had bent exhaust valves, dinged piston, cracked head.

Old 09-28-2000, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Ive been looking over this for a while because it interests me. But I have to say You guys are crazy for waiting on a marginal pice of equipment, I would not be rushing alba to do anything. They need to get this worked out before they sell it to you guys or it will be an expensive hand grenade. As far as turbo goes it is going to be way too expensive, do you remember the dirtwheels with the 400ex turbo. Thousands of dollars for sensors and computers, pop off valves etc. since supercharging works off of the crank, (or sprocket) it is constantly charging, with no lag to spool up go like a turbo. If you are going to hound Alba atleast hound them to build the Supercharger first.

Old 09-28-2000, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

That's what alba is building a supercharger not a turbo. And I'm pretty sure Alba's kit will not be any worse than the wood rotax stage I kit, that me and scooby bought a long time ago. That's why I didn't go with the stage II or III yet, I want to see results of this supercharger kit first. You want lower compression if your going to supercharge.

Old 09-29-2000, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

i don't think you will ever see the alba supercharger kit. a 40ci eaton is ment for a 2000cc engine. not a 650 cc. it takes more power then it gives. plus the ds has a 104 lobe center. you will never get an intake charge. the 20ci eaton will be out next year. its the best bet for the ds.

Quick Reply: Turbo or superchager?