CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Turbo or superchager?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2000, 11:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bd,
oh we will see this kit, its only a matter of time. its already in the works. just gotta let alba do there thing and be patient.

Old 10-01-2000, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

For the power a turbocharger (or supercharger) gives, it's very easy to have an idea about how much.
In theory (with minimal loss everywhere), if you have 14 psi boost (that's 1 bar, atmosphere pressure...), you double your power. But you always loose power (heat, friction...)
Also, a turbo is much better because it's free power (compared to a supercharger). Exhaust gases don't do anything more once they're out of the cyl. so using them to spin a turbine, will not cause you to loose much power...the whole contrary for superchragers that spin thanks to the crank spinning...and as there are no specially designed superchargers for ATVs (very light), I guess it's no good.
No wonder V8s use superchargers and subaru 2.5L turbos.

Old 10-01-2000, 04:02 AM
Trailblazer

size of engine has vary little to do with supercharging or turbocharging. they both have there place. in the ds's case it does not respond will to back pressure. here are some supercharger mfg's. that make or made blowers for small ci engines.k-f idustries,magnacharger,bendix,judson, holley/wankel,eaton (20ci next year). keep in mind there is a lot more to supercharging then just putting one on.

Old 10-01-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

So guys, when is this supercharger suppose to come out and how much $ do you all think/know it will cost? If its under 2000 then i think it would be well worth the money.
...what do you guys think?

Old 10-02-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Just heard that the Alba supercharger is on hold for now needs more R&D. They are redoing the intake manifold.

Old 10-02-2000, 08:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well that pretty much answers it, the kit will not be out this year. I guess I'll have to find another bike to build for the dunes or find someone who knows what the heck they are doing. Sounds like it is just trial and error with no clue as to what they are doing. They don't have the knowledge or the resources for this project. It was "started" months and months ago, with no progress to date.

Old 10-02-2000, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

300exster,
called alba two weeks ago and they said it would cost $2500. But i think it would still be worth the cost if you had the money. it is better than taking a chance with the Ron Wood kit.

Old 10-03-2000, 10:44 PM
Ang
Range Rover

Scooby, It would seem you are wanting to bolt on the magic black box of horsepower, unfortunately there is no such animal even less so when you own a four stroke. As with any high perf machine once you start modifications it is a never ending battle. You do however show the willingness to troubleshoot and for that I comend you. From my own observation you have asked many questions about the nature of four wheelers and racing that I would have thought to be elementary. I always try to help anyone with anything that I know, and there is a lot I don't know. I do however think that you are well on your way to being a damn good atv technician. and I will continue to help where I can, maybe a banshee would be a good next step they have tons of parts and potential. I loved all of mine and learned a lot on each one if you do stick it out good luck, be patient, and never give up just choose your battles.
I hope you are not mad at me this just my observation having never met you in person.

P.S. my stuff came in from ron wood yesterday and I will tear the engine down this weekend, I will keep everyone posted on the stage two kit.

Old 10-07-2000, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

terberg wrote from another forum: "... I was at the Sand Sports Super Show in CA on Fri. I was able to see the Alba DS'. The one with the supercharger. It looked like a nice set up. Looks like it runs off the clutch basket. There was also an EFI turbo DS made by Hy Mark Performance. I was able to talk with the guy who designed and built it. It uses a variable vane turbo and the electronic injection that he was going to use in snowmobiles. He said he has it set up for 23psi and no turbo lag. On the dyno, it makes 100hp at the rear wheels. This thing is stock except the Ron Wood CDI box. He has yet to long term test it because he can't find anyplace big enough to ride. It has a very hefty price tag-$7000! That's if there is enough people who want to buy it. If you would like to find out more, here's the info. The guys name is Steve Benson and the number is 801-264-8656. I belive that is Hy Mark Performances number. It looks like I might be able to ride one of Alba's DS' in the near future. I talked to one of the representitives and he wanted an excuse to ride also so I might get to ride one. Lastly, the builder of Alba's supercharger is making a half size compresser and will be done soon. I think that's enough info to be throwing at you, enjoy!"

Old 10-29-2000, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I noticed in the December issue of Dirt Wheels, Alba's ad said they are taking orders for the DS supercharger kit. Seems odd, I haven't received a call yet with the pics and dyno results, and last I heard the DS wouldn't run and they were starting over from scratch. Has anyone heard anything new?

How much weight will the supercharger add to the DS?

There could be a turbo/EFI Raptor in the future...

Quick Reply: Turbo or superchager?