CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Turbo or superchager?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000, 05:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the status of the EFI/Turbo kit? I just talked to quinton from alba and he said that they are having problems with the ds turbo kit, supposedly the ds motor will not take any backpressure. He also stated that the rev boxs everybody installing on their ds's is asking for big trouble-he says that motor will start "throwing parts" if you overrev it. The supercharger kit will be about $2000 and ready in about a month. He doesn't think the turbo will come out.

Old 06-21-2000, 01:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is annoying that they advertise something when it is so far out. A month could easily turn into two. I sent them a message over a week ago and got no response. A turbo and supercharger both use backpressure, so why would a supercharger work and not the turbo? A turbo exists in Germany for the F650. The Italian Bimota 650 street bike used fuel injection.

Old 06-21-2000, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck with getting email responces. I finder it much faster to jump on my Ninja and ride the three mins over there. Quenton is really cool. They had a dyno HP shoot out on the third. They had problems with tuning the Turbo on their banshee. I will have to ask him about the kit for the DS.

Old 06-21-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooby, I thought a supercharger used engine power (transmitted through belts or gears) to drive a blower producing intake air boost, while a turbocharger used exhaust gasses driving a turbine for the same purpose. Please clarify your statement, "they both use backpressure." Thanks.

Tree Farmer

Old 06-21-2000, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I must have misunderstood LUBA. I thought he was saying the DS motor would not accept increased intake pressure. I guess he meant that the backpressure the motor sees at the exhaust while driving the turbine was causing a problem. I had heard that there was some issue with the pipe. Why would this motor have a problem when the scrambler 500 and 400EX run turbos?

Old 06-22-2000, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer

i agree with quinton. i had to build a rev meg. muffler with duel 5" cones. also do heavy porting on exhaust. my problem was i kept building boost over 4000 rpm. a roots blower has 60 deg. rotor timing. its at max efficiency around 3500 to 4000 rpm. with all my other mods building boost over 4000 rpm showed me i had a back pressure problem. i dropped my boost from 15 psi. at 8000 rpm. to 10 psi at 8000 rpm. and picked up big H.P. if your going to run a blower look close a 40ci eaton has 90 deg roter timing. it will rob more power then its gives. eaton is coming out with a 24ci blower for 500 to 1000 cc motors. with 90 deg. rotor timing it will be awsome.

Old 07-17-2000, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Quinton does not return my calls. Does anyone know what is going on with the supercharger kit? When will it be ready, what HP gains are they getting? Will a new carburetor be included with the kit or will they use the stock carb? Do they have jet kits for the stock carb yet? Have they considered EFI? is it an option/upgrade? How much does the blower itself weigh? Where is it mounted? Is it belt driven? Will the belt(s) be enclosed or open? Will sand/dirt/water be a problem? A fuel pump is required? What pipe are they using? Do they recommend motor mods such as valve springs, cam, low compression piston? Is there a limit on the amount of boost you can run? Can you run above 14 psi on alcohol? Does the kit come with a CDI box? Is hypertech and/or GP Engineering developing the kit or is Alba?

Old 07-18-2000, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer

scooby the alba kit is not even close. i still don't see the 40ci eaton working on a 650cc engine. efi is to much money. and if you don't understand fuel mapping you will never get it set. go buy books on supercharging and fuel injection. there is alot more to supercharging then you think.

Old 07-18-2000, 05:16 AM
Trailblazer

bdonohue,
I love reading stuff about your blower. Do you have the time to post a detailed run down of your DS as it sits now. How much power are you making? Have you dynoed/ timed it to compare? Give us the Good, the Bad and the Ugly on a blown DS.
I'm in the Nor-cal bay area and I would gladly make the run up to check out your handy work next time you have it out if you don't mind. Let me know.

[yellow]Yella Terra[/yellow]
[blue]DS650 and loving it!![/blue]

Old 07-19-2000, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

getting our 57 ready for hot augest nites now. mid. augest well be going to sand mountain alot. installed msd ing. with boost retard. trying to work bugs out. was able to get boost up to 13 psi. but blew head gasket. going to try o'ring cyl. and make copper gasket. this will be the last of the mods. i well do to the ds. our next project is going to be a blown mid engine chevy powered buggy.

Quick Reply: Turbo or superchager?