CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

More bad luck..... Never fails...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More bad luck..... Never fails...

Well things seemed to be going good after I put the new valves in and was hoping it would stay that way..... Today after an hour of riding on a near by lake I went flying across on my way home. I almost get to shore to get on a trail and all of a sudden I see a bunch of steam and oil blow all over my riding pants and ALL OVR MY MOTOR! I quick shut it off and brought it to a stop. I was quite worried! (it's not often you see a bunch of oil slinging all over the place). I got off and start looking at stuff and see that one of my valve cover bolts had stripped right out of the head.... well I nursed it home VERY slowly, but at least it isn't something terrible like usual! But still, it never fails. "It's always something." But I'm laughing and shaking my head at the same time. I plan on retapping it and just using a similar length bolt with a washer on top of the rubber sealer. Would that be ok to do? I don't see of any other way any how.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

You can always install some helicoils.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:27 PM
sam
Pro Rider

after you retap might be a good idea to put some loctit on the threads
what are helicoils? JMAC650
Sam

Old 12-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

That should work, I have noticed that the stock bolts that bomb uses are very soft, I have broken a few in various places. A Helicoil is a threaded sleave. You drill out the hole and retap it at a bigger size, install a helicoil and then you can use the same size bolt again. They are comonly used when you strip out a sparkplug hole, where you cant use a bigger size. They look like a small pipe with treads inside and out.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

there is a pic of heliciol and tools on this site. go to main page. click on tech tips. scroll down to tech tip #21. stripped oil drain plug.