Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

few random scrambler questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few random scrambler questions

Hey all, own'd a polaris scrambler for a few years now, I'm on my second one still loving the 400's of course, and I've been wondering a few things.... First has anyone added wheel spacers to their scrambler? I've been looking into it and am curious?
I have a sticky throttle cable which sometimes after a long ride will start to stick and cause the ETC to cut spark, I re routed it and it help but there is still some stickage? Any ideas? I tried to lube it without luck..... How do you get the lube down the cable housing? Or where do these normally stick?
There were a few other questions but I can't think of them right now, thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Will you still be able to fit in between the trees ,where you ride?
unhook the throttle cable from the thumb throttle. start sqirting in your favorite lube-oil a little at a time, doesn't take too much. best if you hold the whole cable in straight up and down position. I think on my 400, the cable is run on the right side frame rail ,alongside the gas tank.
Check the injector cable as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

"Will you still be able to fit in between the trees ,where you ride?** unhook* the throttle cable from the thumb throttle. start sqirting in your favorite lube-oil* a little at a time, doesn't* take too much. best if you hold the whole cable in straight up and down position.* I* think on my 400, the cable is run on the right side frame rail ,alongside the gas tank.** Check the injector cable as well"

I don't do as much tight trail, slow riding and strategic mud riding anymore, more into the fast trails, feilds, dirt tracks, pitts etc, but still some tight stuff, has anyone actually widened the scrambler and liked it?
As for the cable I have done what you said before, disconnected from the thumb part, but even with the provided straw I can barely get anylube down without it spraying back up lol, mines routed in the same spot and there is no pinch points anymore. Seems like it sticks right between idle and 1/4 throttle doesn't come bac as fast as it should, thus causing the etc to kick in, and also causes the back not to rev down as fast as it should, makes it seem like it has crappy throttle response

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, i widened my 500 3" front and rear,real safer feelin,would never go back,just got a trailblazer,its as wide as the 500 stock........................

Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Cool! That's what I like to hear lol, does it look normal or kinda goofy? And I didn't know the blazer was wider? Thx

Old 02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I found 1" spacers for the rear of my Scrambler on ebay. They were 20 bucks. Made for a Mini and made out of aluminum. So far they have held up well but I dont jump my 500.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Trailblazer

I just relubed the cable on my 99 scrambler. I took the cable off the bike and seperated it at the black box that attaches to the oil pump cable. The black box had mud in it. Was adding some resistance to the cable. Cleaned that and sprayed white lithium grease in it. Take a small funnel and put the end of the cable up through the bottom of the funnel maybe 1/2 inch or so. seal off the cable and funnel were it goes into the funnel with tape or something. spray your favorite lube into the funnel till it is over the top of the end of the cable. Prop up and leave it overnight or something. Gravity and time will let the lube work its way down the cable. Long complicated way I know but it works. Or buy a cable luber fitting and use that.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,Did you widen the front also?
Do you like the feel of the bac end wider? And for both of ya how's does it look?
How's does the little black box come apart, where the oil injection cable joins?
Mine looked sealed, actually looked like one piece, but may be the problem who knows, I will try your way of lubing, lol thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I took apart the little black box, it was filled with mud ice and grime lol, cleaned and lubed it and the problem is almost solved. No longer hits the ETC, so "very nice!"
Went out for a ride and charged my GPS and tried to catch a top speed. I hit 110 km/h, aka 68.5 mph, not to bad eh? And got there fast, it was a mild day and its jetted for the very cold lol, I was expecting a little more but oh well good for now.

Next question, what's the cc increase with a .5 over piston? And with a 1.0 over.

Last edited by Scrambler00; 02-15-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: wrong conversion
Old 02-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

ok found a conversion for the cc increase. with the .5 aka bore of 83.5 its 383.319 cc
with the 1.0 over aka bore of 84mm 387.924cc.
Next question....... well i have the motor from the other 400, do u need to rejet with increasing bore size? and do u rejet with porting?