CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Barnett clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barnett clutch

when installed my new carb and intake i desided that it was time to change the clutch.(it was slipping) i went with the barnett. the one where u add the two extra disk to the stock clutch baskett. i havent went ridding maybe three trips and i noticed it already slipping. are any of u guys running the barnett clutch? and if so are u having any trouble with the springs? what are the best high performance cluches on the market?

Old 12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

I have heard of the problems with the Barnett clutches slipping and wearing very quick on this forum before. The best set up you can run is the stock clutches & plates with stiffer springs. Seems the favorite is ron woods 60% springs.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

The best mix is ...

1) Stock Clutch
2) Heavy clutch springs (TVI, Pami or RWR 60% over stock)
3) A good engine oil (I use Honda HP4 no moly) others (such as scooby) have figured out what synthetic oil specs are good for the clutch. There is an Amsoil that does not make the clutch slip. Search the threads for that info. If you use a pure synthetic without checking into how it affects your clutch, you are asking for it!

Do those things and your problems are over. As for the Barnett clutch and springs.... Ebay?

Marky

Old 12-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

does the 60%spring have any affect on how stiff the clutch lever is to pull

Old 12-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

I just put them in my quad. It is stiffer, but once I was riding it I never noticed. I guess if you're big enough to handle a DS, the clutch pull isn't a big deal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Justin

Old 12-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

I think the TVI or the RWR 60% are both much better than the Pami springs. I have the Pami, and have replaced the clutch actuator pin twice. Unless you are running over 75HP, you wont need the Pami. And yes, all of them are harder to pull, Ron Wood 60% and TVI aren't bad - the Pami's are are on your hand - Carpel Tunnel!

Old 12-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

thanks again guys, it just pisses me off about the barnett clutch giving up so early..oh well..........thanks

Old 12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

I have run the Barnett clutches,and steels for a year now,with Valvoline VR1 50w. I havent had ANY clutch slippage or fade period. I run the Barnett springs that came with the clutches which are much lighter then the RWR 60% but heavier than stock springs. I think it my be your oil that your using, and not so much your clutches. Before you go out and trash $180 set of clutches try changing your oil,and go out and ride the heck out of it.

I am 265lbs and only ride in Sand,and do ALOT of dragg racing and the Barnett clutches have not let me down yet. I know thier are some people than wont never buy them again, but they have worked great for me and DSmike ,so take that for what its worth. Good luck.

Bigger.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

I agree with biggerisbetter. TT racing is torture on a clutch and the Barnett has lasted a full season. I couldn't get 2 races out of the stock clutches once we got the engine over 60 hp. We run Klotz synthetic 4 stroke wet clutch oil. The ronwood springs were so hard to pull, I felt like it was killing a tenth second every shift. Quick shifting is the key to drag racing. Every shift costs time (auto tranny for drag racing!).

Old 12-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Barnett clutch

bigshow when my stock clutch started slippin i took it apart and sanded my metal plates in a 8 motion and it never sliped again you should try this whit your stock metal plates trust me it will work...................

Quick Reply: Barnett clutch