CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fired the 720.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired the 720.....

I've had the battery charging for 2 days. When I crank it it makes an erratic sound. Battery is done. I'm going to try to use my Raptor battery in the meantime. It's charging up as I type this. If a bike sits too long in the cold here the battery seems tp go completely dead.

I have a clear hose going to the gas tank to the carb. There is plenty of fuel going in. I even see the fuel located at the bottom of the bowl. I still don't know why it isn't getting any. I am getting spark. One thing I forgot to mention when I bought new plugs for this thing is that they didn't have the DRE8A plugs. They only had DRE9A. Would that pose a problem? It's cooler plug and it's kind of cold in the garage where I'm working on (I work for about 30 mintues then run back in the house to warm up).

The lectron carb I believe have no needle. It's wierd cause to richen it you push it up (what is normally a needle is consider a fuel meter) and turn left (I think) to richen or push needle up and turn right to lean. I called Fast Bt Gast if they can fax me a manual but they never did. I sent the carb over to someone who knows these carbs very well and he did all the work for me. He did say he set it to be a bit rich. How can you tell what the needle is number wise? Is ther anything else on this thing that controls how much gas is entered?

Old 12-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Is there still fuel coming out the vent tubes? You can see the fuel in the bowl, correct? Where is the fuel level at in the bowl? It should not be all the way at the top. Part of the float should be just above the fuel level.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

The flat part of the needle has to face the motor.

To richen or lean the needle, you screw it in or out. Do not push up. Once you screw the needle in or out, then you push up and turn it so that the flat side of the needle is faceing the carb.

On the needle, it will have the numbers on the flat side. This will tell you what size your needle is.

If you have had someone set it up, and they said that it should be rich, then they should know, and you should not have to mess with the needle very much.

If the needle's flat side is not faceing the motor, it will not start.

If you have done all of this, and it still does not start, put your stock carb back on and see if it starts with it.

The Lectron carb is very simple, not much can go wrong.

Remember this, you have to have three things in order for the motor to run.
1)fuel
2)air
3)spark
Once it has all three, then you have to make sure it sparks at the right time.

If you do not have one or the other, it will not start.

What do the plugs look like? Do they have fuel on them?

If you have all of the above, then it is time to check and see if the cam chain jumped a tooth or two. This might be the sounds that were in the valve cover.

DuneDevil

Old 12-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Birdoprey,

Indeed it's near the top of the bowl. I just took some snapshots of it to post in my gallery page. I also see fuel leaking around the bowl. I think I need a new gasket for this thing. What should I look for in the bowl??

Old 12-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Is the fuel level higher than the top of the float? The float rises with the fuel and pushes the needle up into its seat(where the fuel comes in at). If there is trash, sand, etc or the needle itself is sticking, it will not shut the fuel off. The result is fuel filling the bowl and working its way out the vent hoses as well as up through the main jet and into the carb throat flooding the motor.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

Entomber, when you look at the carb bowl the fuel should be about 70% up from the bottom. If it is not and you have fuel coming from the tank then your needle and seat in the carb are stuck. Lightly tap on the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle while watching the carb bowl and see if it fills up! If it does it is sticking shut not allowing fuel to the bowl. These lectron carbs are very difficult to get set up initially, especially when it is extremely cold out. Once you get them set up though they are hard to beat. Make sure that the meetering rod flat side is facing toward the motor. Also when adjusting these rods you turn them IN (clockwise) to richen and OUT (counterclockwise) to lean them. Once you get them adjusted 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn or what ever then you push the metering rod in and locate the flat side toward the motor. I have also found that if you are close on the needle size then 53 mm from the end of the needle to the bottom of the slide will get you with in 1-2 turns of right on.
hope that helps.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Okay...

I opened the bowl up. I didn't see any gunk in there or anything odd. The float works as it should I slapped it all back together tightened all the hose clamps and still nothing. Once I'm on the starter (for a good 20 seconds or so) I can hear it wanting to fire. I hear a little stumble. Heck I even fired a bit of starting fluid in there just to get this thing running and no go. I'm starting to wonder if I should get a hotter plug just to get this thing going.

On to richening it then or leaning it out. If I remove the carb from the boots I assume you remove the slide out of the carb to richen/lean it. Which side should I be facing to turn it left or right (lean or richen). I don't want to screw this thing up. I know I was told it was set on a little rich side. Last time I checked the plugs they didn't seem wet.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Did you pull the float and needle out? That is where the sand/junk would be. You can just pull the bowl off and attatch your fuel line up to check the needle and seat operation. With the float lifted up there should be no fuel coming out. With the float down it should start letting fuel through.
If its flooded, you can just turn off the fuel and try starting it. As long as there is some fuel in the bowl, it should start and run til the fuel is gone.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

hey Etom point the needle at your chest with then part that faces the front of the bike. then to richen turn the needle clock wise and thats it . I would sugest atr least one full turn and remember flat side of the needle always goes towards the front of the bike. then you can start to fine tune buy pushing the needlein towards the slide and turnig and this is super fine tuneing and if you have any other ?'s I'm @ sanchezf@charter.net HAVE FUN you'll luve that new carb , i know i was beging to hate mine just play with it ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Okay this is what I have done. Out of desperation I bother the Lectron Guy. If I'm not satisifed with this I think I'll get a 45HV down the road. I heard nothing but positive things about this and if it gives me more bottom and top I'm all for it.

I found out the needle turns around. You'll need a pair of pliers to do so. I didn't understand that until I spoke with him. So I turned it rediculously rich and almost to a point it didn't go back in the carb without jamming up. At this point I hear it wanting to start more so than it did but keeps farting thru the air filter and the air ducts that go to the airbox. What is a good starting point to tinker with this. When if farts back like that what kind of condition is it? I feel I'm stepping in the right direction. So far I love the carb... if it only works.. I will pray, praise, and worship it once it starts my bike reliably. I love the needle tuning thing.

Are there jets in this thing?

Quick Reply: Fired the 720.....