CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Fired the 720.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired the 720.....

Report....

I picked up the feeler gauge I got one with 26 blades and the biggest one they had (very limited selection). However I didn't check the vavles. What I did was clean up the garage and make more way to work in. It was relaxing and rewarding. Reading biggerisbetter's post I decided to remove the valve cover and turn the motor over with both cam lobes facing the opposite sides of each other. Then I ran over to the other side of the bike and lo and behold, the cam gears seem to be a tooth or two off from where than line meets. I took picutres to get 2nd opinions but a virus stuck my computer at home. So one more thing for me to resolve on my to do list. I'll see if I can post the pics later to get opinions here.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The way you check your cam timiing is take a sprk plug out, then LOCK the crack into TOP DEAD CENTER(do you know how to do this??) after you have done that, look at you cam sprocket marks...... They should be lined up.(facing OUT from each other) If not then BINGO!! but if thier just "off alignment" then you should use the cam cradle for your centering line. Make sure the Intake cam is dead on. The exhaust can be alittle off, but if so , make sure it is alittle ABOVE the mark(right guys??).

Anyway, you have to start with the Crank locked at TDC, before you look at anything else.

Bigger.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, did you have a line on the cam sprockets, to line them up? Did you have the top dead center pin in when youd did this? Sounds like that could be your problem if you are off a few teeth, If you are off just 1 tooth I think it would still runs, but run like crap.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

from www.faq.f650.com will give you some idea.s what too look for

Old 12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Okay

I had a bud help me with the TDC on this. He was looking and set it for me on this one. I know there is an allen bolt on the left side that you remove and we used a d-temp bolt (as ron wood calls it... they supplied to my friend) and we used that to lock the piston at TDC. I'm going to re do that part.. but in that hole what am I looking for exactly. I think I heard from someone to look for a half moon shape. Again I briefly looked at it last night and I had the two cam lobes at equal points facing outward and the line on the cam gears DID NOT line up. I think the exhaust one was further down than the intake cam (the lines on the cam gears). I assume it's not set properly.

I'll try to get my computer working and then I'll send pics for a better opinion (I'm login in at work not home)

Old 12-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

TDC Bolt

Old 12-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok do it like this.

1) take the SIDE spark plugg out, turn the motor over(you can do thi by putting the quad in gear, and rolling the it back and forth) till you see the top of the piston at TDC. this will get you very close.

2) either have someone hold or prop your quad on its RIGHT side, so ONE...you wont drip and loose oil,and TWO... you can shine a flash light on the hole and see the DEEP gash in the crank where the lock down bolt goes.

3) put your quad back on all fours..... look at your cams....are the lobes pionting outward????

4) the cams are held by a "cam cradle" their is a top and a bottom to this cradle. the SEEM of that cradle is what you use to align your cam marks. I believe the exhaust cam mark will end up being alittle high of the mark(half a tooth),and the intake cam should match up. REMEMBER..... when tighten your cam tensioner(that big Bolt thing that keep pressure on the black timing chain slide,,, by your carbs) your cams will rotate clock-wise alittle so make sure when you align your cams you compensate for that movement.

Bigger.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a picture of a crank out of the engine so you can visualize the TDC groove.

Send me a PM and I can e-mail it to you (unless someone has a site they can put it up on?)

Edit: Just added the TDC picture to my page. Once the Mods approve you should be able to see it there.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BillDS650
TDC Bolt

good picture.

remeber if you dont have one of these blts, you can take one out of your swing arm, use a grinder on the tip,and it will work fine!

bigger.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
wow its amazing how people come together to help people they dont even realy know !!!!!!! marry x-mass .......
I 100% agree! This forum is awesome. Keep up the great help and Merry Christmas everyone!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Fired the 720.....