CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Temperature - Thermostat-Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Temperature - Thermostat-Fan Question

Took the X out this evening for the first time in a month. We received 5" of snow here in Mid-Michigan on Christmas eve. We had a beautiful white Christmas. With this, it was time to whip the kids (8 & 5) around the yard on their Rubbermaid sled.

I took a couple of hard rides up and down my street and through my field. Next, I buzzed the kids around the yard for a half hour. I parked the X in my shed, running. I noticed that the oil/temp light had turned on. I quickly disconnected the oil sensor (had two oil sensor problems so far). The light stayed on with the oil sensor disconnected. When I was having oil sensor problems, I would disconnect the oil sensor and the light would go off. So, it appears that the machine was too hot. I turned off the light in my shed and noticed the pipes coming out of the engine were glowing red. The cooling fan had not turned on, not once. I shut the X down and pulled her outside to cool. Ten minutes later I started her back up and the light was off. I rode for 15 minutes and put the machine back into the shed, letting her run. The pipes started to glow red again. Although this time the oil/temp light didn't come on. I let it idle for five minutes, trying to trip the light again. I couldn't get the light to come on, plus the fan never turned on.

Does anyone know how to get the fan to turn on in 25 - 30 degree weather? I'm thinking I have a temp sensor or fan issue now.

I can't say I'm pleased that I've been having these little issues the past two months. Although, the machine ran great today in the snow.

BTW, the kids had a blast being ripped around the yard in the snow.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temperature - Thermostat-Fan Question

Oz,

Well I can't say that I've heard of any problems with the Baja fan. However, it does appear that you might have been too hot. But, don't take the red glowing headpipes as an indication of that. Sometimes unburned gas accumulates in the headpipes and burns there. One way to check your fan is to direct connect it to the battery. The plug for the fan is on the upper left hand side of the frame. Its an oblong water sealed connection for easy fan replacement (LOL). I'd bypass the switch and hook it directly up to the battery. If it does not run, you know you have a fan issue. The Baja was supposed to be isolated from fan problems with the new rubber mounts. Most of us guys that have the previous models buy a lot of fans or pitch them altogether.

Check the fan and let us know what you come up with.

Marky