CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

should brake caliper be loose? also idle circuit backfire = lean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should brake caliper be loose? also idle circuit backfire = lean?

ok first off...when i take my grab bar and push side to side (or get on it and shift my weight side to side...) i can feel this odd movement like somthing is loose...we finally narrowed it down to the axle...then to the brakes.....the caliper seems to have some flex...or be loose....judging by the fact it has little rubber things, im guessing it shoudl move a little bit? (like 1/8 of an inch?)

i figured it shoudl be fully tightened...... anyone know?

also...i have my jetting pretty close..... everything seems fine but the idle circuit.... when i first give it gas it stumbles a bit.... (could be either lean/rich right?) when i am at like 1/4 pull in clutch and let it coast, it will occasionally die.... (lean?)
and also, i occasionally get backfires thru the airbox.... (i can feel it, because it pops the airbox lid up and hits the seat...)

right now i have a 175, needle second from the top, and fuel screw 3 turns out.... should i go another postion down on the clip? or just keep messing with fuel screw?

any help is appreciated

Old 01-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should brake caliper be loose? also idle circuit backfire = lean?

About your jetting, it is indeed lean on idle. You will need a bigger pilot jet and then fine tune your fuel screw. But for now just turn your fuel screw OUT about a half a turn for now untill you can get a larger pilot.

The caliper is supposed to be loose to float around, but check your axel bearing if they're loose. put it up in a stand and move the axle back and forth to check if they're loose. When you get that far let me know. If they are loose you will just need to adjust your axle bearing preload nut on the axle.