CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand Stars, or Haulers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Stars, or Haulers?

i was looking to go CHEAP...but after reading that cheap is...well...CHEAP... i decided ill probably get a decent set of paddles.....

the two i am currently considering are....

22x11x10 ITP Sand stars on either douglas .160, or .190 (im not sure how much this combo is going to run because rocky dosnt list mounted prices for these...) im assuming mounted, these will run in the area of 225.....[if anyone has a more accurate price for mounted sand stars in that size let me know]

or

22x12x8 -- 8 paddle haulers on .160 @ 215 shipped & .190 @ 230 shipped-------------- more weight..... more traction/flotation?

or

22x11x10 -- 8 paddle haulers on .160 @255 & .190 @ 270----------- less weight.....less traction/flotation?

or

22x12x8 -- 9 paddle Hauler Extremes on .160 @ 255 & .190 @ 270 (rocky claims the extremes are the same heigth paddle as the normal haulers, but all the pics make them look taller....)

i have decided i want 22's....

the 8 paddle haulers at 215 or 230, and the sand stars are attractive because of the price... but again id rather have a good tire and spend another 30 bucks, then get the cheaper, and wish for better....

so... who has experience with the above tires in those sizes/ # paddles? I havnt had experience with paddles before, so dont know if i would be unhappy with the haulers turning abilities.... (i ride 50% straight climbs/Drags, and 50% messing around with some sliding)

ive ridden in the sand 3 times...but i ran my 22 inch Realtors.... which get me around...but i get smoked in drags (they just dont move that much sand...)

ALSO.... do you guys think .160 or .190 is better? my .190 realtors feel like they weigh TWICE what my stock tire/rim combo does....

but im afraid if i get .160 ill bend them.... (i weigh 230, but i dont do MAJOR air jumps.... just 5-7 feet up and 15-30 feet in length....

any information and or advice you guys can give me is appreciated!

(i beleive my sig is updated...but i run a KN filter, WB pipe/headers and a Big Gun cdi if that matters any...)

Old 02-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Extreme Hauler paddles are the same 7/8" height as regular Hauler paddles, but are 1/8" thicker. Skat Trak Rippers have a 1" tall paddle that is 1/4" thicker than the Haulers paddle, and 1/8" thicker than the Extreme Hauler paddle. Taller Haulers have a 1 1/8" tall paddle that is the same thickness as the Haulers paddle.

The more horsepower your ATV has the more likely it is to damage the glued on paddles that Skat Trak makes, and if you put too small of a paddle on too high horsepower of an ATV you can actually tear the paddles right off the tire. For big bore ATVs I would recommend getting the Extreme Hauler. If you have to ride across pavement to get to the sand, or might hit a tree root, rock, or log where you ride, you will want to get the Rippers.

The .160 rims may be good enough, but they are marginal if you air it out too often. There is very little weight difference between .160 and .190 wheels though. And you could also go with ITP T9 wheels, which are just as durable (and light) as the Douglas wheels.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First: Haulers are what you want.

Rims: I originally had 20" tires on 10" rims with the .190's and they have dings in them from some of the rocks I have encountered on the trails. However, when I went to the 22's I haven't had a run in with a rock yet (knock on wood). I guess the extra sidewall height protects the rims pretty well. I'ld probably go with the .160's the next time (Oh, I weigh about 225.)
Also on rims. . . you can't fit an 8" rim on the stock hub without modification to the hub so, unless you plan on doing that, you are stuck with 10" rims. I know BigBaja special ordered a set of tires for 9" but, I don't think that is realistic for your limited dune riding.

So, I'ld suggest the 22x11x10 - 8 paddle Haulers on .160's. . . but, that's just me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

yeah what dune me said.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Ive tried alot and I like 22x11x10 10paddles and they work great. 160 rims and I passed on the extremes. Reg haulers work great and last. Gear down to a 15 or 14 and youll love them.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

I HAVE THE SAME TIRES AS MR.MEANER AND I LOVE THEM

Old 02-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I tore the heck out of my haulers and replaced them with extremes. The extremes were made due to failures like mine. If your tires are holding up count your blessings. Why not spend alittle extra and make sure. 8s or 10s really just comes down to your sand conditions. Light and fluffy 10s, heavy dense 8s.
I have been happy with 160s until I noticed a little chunk out of my rim and I don't know how or where it happened. For such a small weight diff I would replace mine with 190s. I would hate to lose out on a ride because of rim failure. I tagged a polaris with 120s once to my 190s and his rim folded like a beer can I would never recommend those for anyone.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have both sets of paddles you are looking at and I really like the extreme haulers better. They add two bikes lengths at the top of the hill on my bike.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

this is good info, thanks guys

squatcher, since you have both tires, do you notice a major turning ability/sliding ability difference between the stars and the haulers?

i do like to power-slide a bit and whip the rear end out on the top of the dune, but am wondering if this is just not possible with a tire like the haulers?

ok so the 8 inch rims are out....

im thinking if i go haulers ill go extremes... just because i do have to ride on a short stretch of asphalt, and there are some trees/stumps up at silver lake. (i would be pretty ticked if i ripped a paddle off....lol)

where can i buy the rippers?

i just noticed in rocky's catalog they only sell 10 inch rim extremes in 20 inch.... does skat trak make a 22 on a 10 in extreme?

Old 02-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Go to actionoffroad.com and look at the sand tire page on their web site. I was in their shop last Friday and they had both the 22" extremes and 22" Rippers in stock, and some ITP T9 wheels to fit a DS650. The Rippers are more money than the Extremes, but they are super super tough, and can actually be used by a high horsepower buggy (I'm talking 300 HP here) according to Skat Trak, so I gaurantee you would not tear them up by hitting a tree root or driving across a short stretch of pavement on a DS650. I had actually been thinking about getting the Rippers and T9 wheels for my DS650, but did not have the cash on hand last Friday to get them (payday is this Friday).

Rocky Mountain does not stock the 22" Extremes because they only purchase tires by the train load at a time, and there has not been enough of a market for 22" Extremes for them to buy a train load full. It would cost more to get 22" Extremes from them, but I'm sure they could special order them for you, with a little coaxing, maybe.

Quick Reply: Sand Stars, or Haulers?