CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?

what DSsleuth has is similar to a sled deck. Mostly made to put snowmobiles on but also putting quads on too. They are anywhere for 1000 to 3000 if you want the one that actually hydraulically comes out of the bed and onto the ground, forgot the brand but a buddy of mine has one, pretty slick. Most are used so people in the winter can haul sleds and not have to tow trailers on snow roads and chain up, etc. They are nice. search for sled decks on google and you should be able to find more info. Sean

Old 02-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Talk to DSsleuth.

He's actually a rep. And his weighs no where near 1000 lbs. id say it would weigh less than 200 lbs. Its really trick.

It is really easy to install and works great. His bikes load easier than a trailer.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

sorry, i didnt make that clear, i was talking about price, $1000-3000. Possibly cheaper if you find a used one.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

When at Winchester on Thanksgiving, I saw a pickup with a rack that fit four quads. It went from the back of the bed (tailgait up) to over the top of his cab - very cool.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

I made one that has a 8x8 deck sets in the bed of the pickup. deck is above the rails.headache rack.winch system. if you dont want to drive up the ramps.expanded metal deck. if you look on ultimate rack web site. you will be looking at a very similar design. mine is bolted together so you can break it down and stand it against the wall. I can take pics if you want. pm your email and I will send a couple.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

I use an ATV rack for the back of my short bed crew cab Duramax truck that lets me haul two ATVs side by side. The rack weighs about 200 lbs, and can be taken back out of the truck in five minutes when you do not need it.

Here is a picture of the rack I am talking about. It cost $1400. We also tow a 26' Weekend Warrior toy hauler trailer, which is big enough to carry four ATVs in the trailer. So with four ATVs in the trailer, and two ATVs on the truck, we have quite a load on our 3/4 ton Chevy, but it seems to do just fine with the 12,000 lb trailer and the 1600 lbs worth of ATV in the bed. The trailer itself has a 1600 lb tongue weight, so that makes for 3200 lbs in the bed of the truck. Did I mention the back end of my Chevy squats a little when we have it fully loaded?

Anyway, the nicest part about the ATV rack for the truck is that you do NOT need to even unhook the trailer to unload the ATVs when you get to your riding area. Just make a sharp left hand turn, and stop mid-way through the turn to unload the right hand ATV. Then make a sharp right hand turn to unload the left hand ATV. It works pretty slick with the trailer, and it works GREAT for day trips when you are only taking two ATVs, and are not camping.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

http://www.atvramps.com/atvrack.htm

Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
I use an ATV rack for the back of my short bed crew cab Duramax truck that lets me haul two ATVs side by side. The rack weighs about 200 lbs, and can be taken back out of the truck in five minutes when you do not need it.

Here is a picture of the rack I am talking about. It cost $1400. We also tow a 26' Weekend Warrior toy hauler trailer, which is big enough to carry four ATVs in the trailer. So with four ATVs in the trailer, and two ATVs on the truck, we have quite a load on our 3/4 ton Chevy, but it seems to do just fine with the 12,000 lb trailer and the 1600 lbs worth of ATV in the bed. The trailer itself has a 1600 lb tongue weight, so that makes for 3200 lbs in the bed of the truck. Did I mention the back end of my Chevy squats a little when we have it fully loaded?

Anyway, the nicest part about the ATV rack for the truck is that you do NOT need to even unhook the trailer to unload the ATVs when you get to your riding area. Just make a sharp left hand turn, and stop mid-way through the turn to unload the right hand ATV. Then make a sharp right hand turn to unload the left hand ATV. It works pretty slick with the trailer, and it works GREAT for day trips when you are only taking two ATVs, and are not camping.
that is a picture of the "ultimate rack" that I was taking about. depending on where you live the shipping can put that rack over $1500.00 it can be made at home for about 3 to 4 hundred for the cost of steel.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, the "ultimate rack" is a different rack. The decal on the side of mine says "ATV Rack Systems". I looked at the ultimate rack before buying mine, and they are very similar, and pretty much equal in quality. I liked some things better on the ultimate rack and some things better on the one I bought. But I bought mine from the local shop so I did not have to pay shipping, and that saved me a couple hundred over the cost of an "ultimate rack".

I suppose I could have built the Weekend Warrior myself to. Wait a minute, I'm not smart enough to even build one of these racks myself. Plus, how much does a welder cost, or a steel cutting saw, with saw blades, and a cutting torch? And how much to have one of these things professionally powder coated? Did you include those cost in your $300 to build it yourself estimate? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I stand corrected. even though its the same. paint $50. allready have a welder,saw,torch. why would you need a torch anyway? . and aparently pismo has one, or access to one. if you want it powder coated. it would still be hundreds less than what you paid.sorry about that. I sold the one I made for $700.it was even painted.it was a total cost of $350.00 the steel was around $250.00. the ultimate rack price for short bed is $1169 so I geuss you did not save any there either. sorry about that.

Quick Reply: How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?