CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What do you think I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think I should do?

That's a funny thought - a Merto pulling a DS on a trailer. That's kinda like the cart pulling the horse. If you got the metro, it would be cheap enough on gas & such you might be a lot closer to the extra quad / bike, though you'ed have to deal with driving a metro. Maybe you could hook up with a 4 banger pickup for just a little more?

Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

lol the only reason i'd buy the metro is cuz it'd b cheap on fuel and the overall buyin it and cuz i know where it has been, but i know for sure now i'm not buying any vehicle, the insurance guy called back to day, price for a late 90s truck is $4800 w/ collision and $3800 w/o, i've seen stock 00' DS's go for like $5000, so looks like i'm huntin for a ds

Old 02-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

It's that much for insurance?!? How many wrecks have you been in?

Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

well for one, thats in CA funds, not US, and two i'm just gettin my full license soon,so i haven't been any wrecks, lol, so that does help me along wit that i'm a guy, the folks just want me to wait like a year til I can show i'm a good driver,

Old 02-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For a decent driver, here in southern california that is in the early years of driving, you'll look at 1200 - 1600 per year US Funds. ($1600 - 2130 in canadian) $2850 and 3600 USD for insurance would be WAY WAY WAY out of the question. I seriously think you need a different insurance agent. Are you getting something different in your policies than we are in the US perhaps? You are looking at more than double what I would expect the same person to pay here in Los Angeles area.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

so far everyone i've talked to my age its the same thing, this really sux[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

From a money standpoint, make sure you get your license the minute your old enough to. The longer you have your license, the cheaper your insurance will be - so get it the minute you're old enough. (It's 16 in Canada too, correct?) If you start paying for insurance when you're 18 then it should be a good amount cheaper, especailly if they think you've been driving without tickets & Accidents for two years.
You might also try to find an insurance company that only wants to insure good drivers - they often have better rates. In my search for the best rate AAA has come in far, far lower than any other insurnace company for me. I've been with them for about 8 - 9 years now.

Sounds like you had better just buy the quad - insurance might just kill you judging by those prices. Perhaps it is higher since you get the snow & such up there? I know people around here seem to forget how to drive in the rain every year. (During the first few rains, 95% of the drivers DO NOT slow down and the accident rates go way, way up.) Perhaps the statistics for your area are that younger drivers do very poorly in snow / bad weather & that would explain the higher prices.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

i got my permit the day after my bday(weren't open on my b-day), i'll b gettin my license as soon as i can, and yes the snow probably hurts the insurance rates, figured i'd drive for a year or so and check on what it'd b then, hopefully alot lower, insurance rates here are crazy, keep goin up, i'm going to go for the quad, i've started looking around for ex's or ds's,